Forum Readers-

Yankwood made a post about his terrible experience with Nettles which has me thinking.........

WHAT'S YOUR WORST EXPEREINCE WITH AN ATLETE RELATED TO GAME USED EQUIPMENT?

It may relate to you trying to get an item autographed, asking a player if he remembers using your item, etc.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
hblkakewolf@patmedia.net