MLB authentication has set itself up to be the new standard for the game used collector by putting holograms on jerseys in the locker room immediately after witnessing the player take it off. However, it's hard to take them seriously when they continue to be careless with the process. Last year I bought a game issued #15 Lopes jersey at the Phillies holiday sale and when I checked the hologram number it came up as JC Romero who wore #16. I assume they went into the locker and had things arranged in numerical sequence and he was off one. Try that on a standardized test and see how well you score. I contacted MLB via email, got a response that it would be checked and never heard back.

Today I bought a "game used" jersey directly from the Phillies authnetication store and when I got home tried to verify the number and it came up not in their data base. The number ended in 473 so I checked one number lower (...472) and it came up GAME USED authenticated Sept 26, 2010 and one number higher (...474) and it came up TEAM ISSUED autheticated DEC 1, 2010. Both authenticated numbers were of the player I got the holo that was not in their data base. I am awaiting a response back from the Phillies sales and I expect I will return the jersey for a refund. Doesn't say much for them not checking the number before offering it for sale. In the future I will check the number myself on my Droid before paying. Sad situation that these numbers are only as good/bad as the guys slapping them on and recording them.