Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 1999 Griffey Alternate Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

This has become a problem on the forum, people say things are bad but don't give any real reasons, we can all trash items without actually giving actual observations. If you think something is bad explain why!

Banned

Exclamation Re: 1999 Griffey Alternate Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

As far as use goes, there may not be much...I scanned 1999 Mariners game photos on Getty, and, while they don't show every game, the first photos in which I saw the blue Russell alternates being worn were from July 15 and July 17, which was the opening series at Safeco Field. Before that (and sporadically after that) the blue alternates they wore were the Majestic BP-style jerseys.

Can any Seattle collectors and/or Mariners fans confirm or refute my findings?

Dave Miedema

At first glance it looks good and the size is correct. What gives me pause is the name on the back is not snug near the silver piping. Game used examples of this jersey from 1999 that I've seen show the name very close to the silver piping. GettyImages from July 15 and September 5 confirm this placement.

Can anyone find an image with the name further down as the one in the auction?

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1999 Griffey Alternate Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan View Post
    At first glance it looks good and the size is correct. What gives me pause is the name on the back is not snug near the silver piping. Game used examples of this jersey from 1999 that I've seen show the name very close to the silver piping. GettyImages from July 15 and September 5 confirm this placement.

Can anyone find an image with the name further down as the one in the auction?
    Come to think of it, I recall that, as well...and it seemed to apply to all the Mariners Russell alternates, not just The Kid.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Thanks for giving me a chance to respond! I say most likely issued, due to the fact that from my observation the numbers and letters look to have no puckering whatsoever, also no signs of fraying seem to exists on the threads anywhere on the jersey.

Few pics to use:

Majestic BP type jerseys say Mariners where the Russell alternate says Seattle on the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

On the above pictures, I see several different emblem applications. The second picture most closely resembles the Greyflannel jersey in the front. There may be similar variations on the back of the jersey as well. The use is appropriate for a jersey that may have been used once or twice. This was common practice some athletes.

Banned

I have done countless hrs of research on this jersey, from this year, and cannot find any pics with the raised piping above NOB, i hope our Griffey experts or anyone who can locate more pics of this style from this year can prove otherwise, that this does exist... I was also told that even though the piping may not be totally an issue, the major concern is the fact that the jersey's JR wore in this time period were all given to coast to coast and or millcreek, where griff singed his name in between the 24. It is possible that this somehow leaked out of the clubhouse without his knowledge, but from what im told, is that most likely is not probable... I hope we can get some more answers on this piece, with actual fact instead of speculation!

My concern is that you have identified the Mill Creek relationship as fact and then said some might have slipped through. You then ask for "facts". Here are some facts:

1. I have personally inspected this jersey.
    2. There is use that is appropriate in this jersey
    3. The jersey is all original and unaltered
    4. The provenance is an impeccable source
    5. There are strong similarities to the front of this
    jersey comparing to pictures posted in this string
    6. No one has shown photo ID confirming the back of
    the jersey to this point
    7. The seller of this jersey has risk associated with
    selling this jersey
    8. The buyer assumes risk
    9. People have offered opinions, but few are at risk
    10. Negative comments can sway the outcome of this
    auction in a negative way
    11. Negative comments should be substantiated
    before being posted
    12. Negative comments have not been substaintiated

Banned

Okay, thanks for your response, im just trying to get to the bottom of this piece, and i am in know way trying to disrupt the sale or potential of this jersey. But i did however speak to a Gf representative the other day, who told me if i have any doubts that i should not bid, which i appreciate. And he also told me that once i buy it, its mine and that's that, so does this mean, if down the line the an issue came up with the jersey a refund/return would not be issued? What is the policy on this?