Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Story- Fake Steelers Items On Ebay

Mark:

I cannot apologize for the truth, nor will I. I stick to the truth, always. Now, the truth may not always be what people want to hear or may not be popular but I am not really here to make friends either. In fact people often get offended by the truth. Heck, Jesus Christ was crucified for speaking the truth. So if you think I'm going to walk on eggshells in order to appease people I just can't do it.

There are about 2 or 3 people on this board who have an agenda to create chaos for anyone they can, this is very clear. You know who they are, the moderators know who they are. How do you know whether certain authenticators are disliked because they have turned down items submitted for authentication by someone that turned out to be blatantly fake? Maybe I'll pass the next doctored up football jersey that came from NFL Auctions submitted for authentication so I can make a new friend, or maybe just so that person doesn't get mad at me and attempt to target me on a message board. You wouldn't know that though. I'd say I'm pretty darn nice to those people considering the facts.

Again, this is not a popularity contest. I am paid to authenticate football jerseys and equipment. I'm not impressed by someone blabbing about being a former Chief of Police or fortune magazine president or a consulting firm. I know more big attorneys, FBI, Prosecutors, State Police, Chiefs of Police in NY and NJ that would even impress you. Don't tell me you never used sarcasm in your career as a police officer among many other things I'm sure dealing with some of the winners out there in society. Let's call a spade a spade here. None of us are perfect but you have to get the big picture here first before you make comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie J. Gernay
    That's right, I almost forgot. Note to self (and others): When buying an item from an equipment manager it must be photomatched by "Rudy" before it is sold. If it cannot be photomatched by "Rudy" it is likely not authentic and may not be sold. Got it.
    Bernie-

Let me please remind you of a forum rule which states "No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal."

I believe the question about team LOAs was a legitimate one and one that can be handled without taking things to a personal level. Please keep this in mind if you plan to respond to posts in the future. As I mentioned in a previous post, we are going to do everything necessary to make this forum a place where members are proud to say they belong and feel comfortable participating.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier
    CEO - Game Used Universe

I still like Howard's idea and buy the item not the paper. I've learned a lot over the past year from this forum. From bat labeling to jersey tagging to photo matching pinstripes it's been a great resource. We should be offering more opinions of the items and less of the sellers.

Personally, I'd still like to know the story behind the Ward shoes.

Forum members,
    We get all of our items directly from a player and most of our items come with letters signed directly from the athlete. As many of you know that we deal directly with a player from the Buffalo Bills, who is friends with many other players, trainers, and coaches around the league. When I saw this article I called him and he reassured me that the items came directly from the Steelers locker room. We are in the process of contacting the buyer and letting them know what is going on.

Matt
    Matt@elite-sports-marketing.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24

Yes I realize things get sold 'out the back door' and that in such circumstances, discretion is required. It was one of the first things they taught us in 'collector's school'. (I'm hoping that one day when I make enough authentication errors I can finally call myself an 'expert', start my own company and start issuing worthless LOA's along with the rest of them.)
    Rudy, funny, I was going to call you to ask when you wanted to start an authentication service.

Matt/ESM:

I've looked over all of the ESM items on Ebay (as well as many on your site) and I couldn't find any mention of any items coming with a player-signed letter. Every single item stated it came with an ESM COA. The COA's themselves bore no mention or signature of any athlete.
    Can you point me to the items that come with a letter directly from an athlete?

re: your Buffalo Bills source.
    Hines Ward stated he's never worn cleats like that. Your source is saying he did. If you choose to believe your source, you're also saying Hines Ward doesn't know what kind of cleats he wears or what his autograph looks like. While I realize that athletes do sometimes make errors about their own uniforms and equipment, I think in this case, if it were me, I would personally take Hines Ward's comments about his own cleats over the the reassurance of a player on another team. Hines Ward has no financial interest in the cleats. Your source does.
    Cleats coming straight from the Steelers locker room aren't the same thing as cleats coming straight from Hines Ward. I'm sure the Steeler's locker room is filled with hundreds of pairs of all sorts of cleats.

Rudy.