Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow 1905?-1920? Draper & Maynard Logo

Hi Everyone,

Need some help approximating an era of use for the pictured centerbrand on a seemingly hand-turned signature model D&M bat from around 1905 to 1920. I am told that the spotted dog logo came after the non-spotted dog logo. The white area near the mouth of the dog is a paint splatter (not a vintage frisbee) .

Name:  JEversD&MlgoSML.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  71.1 KB

Can't seem to find more than one signature model D&M bat out there, and am having absolutely no luck. If any of you have D&M catalogs from any of those years if you could send an image of the bat listings in each along with the year to t_byington@yahoo.com I would sure appreciate it.

Also would like information any of you may have regarding these D&M signature model bats as well as the Model #10. Are they retail offerings or are they considered professional models? What lengths were typically offered in retail catalogs?

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Re: 1905?-1920? Draper & Maynard Logo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Is that a store bat or a gamer?

Is there a list of store model bats that bring decent money? I see store bats all the time but I only focus on gamers and dont know didly about store bats.

Unfortunately, there is no cut-and-dry way to determine professional from retail model bats from the early 20th century. H&B bats are a little different in the fact that we have some records available to refer back to. I have had through my collection store model bats sidewritten for hall of famers, hall of famer H&B bats sidewritten for minor leaguers, and everything in between. The bat I have was used at a professional level as evidenced by the sidewriting, so therefore it is a gamer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the help. I think the bat I have is from right around 1910.

Have you run into any D&M signature model bats? I know some are offered in the 1937 D&M catalog as "No. 100 "Player Name" Bats Tempur-ized and Grain Sealed". Haven't seen any catalogs from before that though.

I had seen the D&M bats offered by Art Jaffe and have emailed him for help, but haven't received a response yet.

The reason I'm thinking 1910 for mine is that I found a D&M advertisement that featured the 1910 Chicago Cubs and the centerbrand in the photo seemed to be a match to mine in shape and size.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

I got outbid on this 1911 D&M catalog. You may want to contact the high bidder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW:IT&ih=010
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm going to do that. I've also contacted a few other winners of D&M catalogs so hopefully I'll have some basis for comparision in the next few days.

Thanks again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Tim,
    I believe you are correct with the 1910 era estimate. I have a No. 60 model that I purchased with a lot of other memorabilia from around that era (fresh out of the attic). Same centerbrand logo as yours. Hope that helps.

Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Tim..
    This ball, ebay item 290132965556, might help shed some light on the bat... Maybe there is some sort of connection between the bat and ball.
    Matt

Thanks for the help guys! So far I know that the bat I have wasn't offered in D&M catalogs in 1913, 1915, and 1923 and no catalogs in the 1920s and 1930s.

I'm really looking for someone with catalogs from 1909-1912 to verify. If anyone can help or knows of a forum member with a ton of D&M material please either get me their email or give them my email - t_byington@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com