Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would Nike Really Do This? / Ken Griffey Jr Cleats

I am in now way questioning the validity of these Ken Griffey Jr cleats, but....I mean would Nike really have one of there star athletes color there cleats with marker?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Jay

Banned

Re: Would Nike Really Do This? / Ken Griffey Jr Cleats

The shoes in question, although hard to believe, are legit. Nike actually supplied Jr. with the teal colored pen, too!

I purchased quite a few game used items directly from Griffey's "partners", and had a pair of these. I was told this same story about the pen, and confirmed it with Griffey before a game.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Thanks for the Reply

I am not that into baseball items, but I am going to track these to see how much they go for. I started collecting game used Dallas Cowboys items this past December and way overpaid for some cleats so I am trying to get a feel for what game used cleats go for regardless of the sport.

Thank You,

Jay

That completely floors me that they made Griffey color his own shoes. WOW!

RyanZimmerman11

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    That completely floors me that they made Griffey color his own shoes. WOW!

I heard of this years ago. But this is the first time I actually saw the shoe up close. Pretty neat if you ask me.

It's "odd" but since it's known that they were colored like that I would have no problem owning a pair

Not to mention they're signed. Griff has a sweet sig.

The Orioles used to travel with a bunch of orange paint pens. Jim or Fred Tyler (brothers) the equipement would give them to guys to color their shoes orange. Nike wasnt making orange swooshes for them so guys would color them orange. As far as Griffey, he always wanted to have different stuff than other guys. That would seperate him from others like some sort of star treatment i guess. His stuff is always cool to have. I like those teal shoes.

They are definitely cool, but I would NEVER have believed (until I saw it and heard from several sources) that it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlevv View Post
    The Orioles used to travel with a bunch of orange paint pens. Jim or Fred Tyler (brothers) the equipement would give them to guys to color their shoes orange. Nike wasnt making orange swooshes for them so guys would color them orange. As far as Griffey, he always wanted to have different stuff than other guys. That would seperate him from others like some sort of star treatment i guess. His stuff is always cool to have. I like those teal shoes.

the cleats on the right were customized as well. as some of you guys have said, he was notorious for doing so...

-Mike

**ALWAYS looking for game used/issued Nike/Air Jordan sneakers**

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    The shoes in question, although hard to believe, are legit. Nike actually supplied Jr. with the teal colored pen, too!

I purchased quite a few game used items directly from Griffey's "partners", and had a pair of these. I was told this same story about the pen, and confirmed it with Griffey before a game.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS
    I have heard the same story about teal colored pens from Scott from Mill Creek. The big large swoosh was not colored in just the small swoosh and "AROD."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I have a pair of Harold Baines Orioles cleats and they are colored with an orange marker on the swoosh.