Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

I came across a New York Giants jersey worn by my favorite player Ryan Clark while trying to find a jersey for my uncle. About 2-3 days later I stop at the post office on my way to work and pick up the jersey. Later on that day once I get home, I take out the jersey and take a few pics to send Ryan on twitter (just hoping he sees it), within minutes he messages me and asks for my number. We made a deal and on 11-4-12 after the steelers giants game, Ryan comes over to me in the stands, takes his jersey off and hands it to me. Great guy, even got a "thank you" from his wife.

I found a Pat Woodcock game used preseason Redskins jersey at a thrift shop and sent him a tweet about it. He was very excited to see it and I eventually sold it directly to him.
    Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
    I accept PM's so shoot me a message.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

In 1992 spring training, I brought a 1977 Cubs home game used jersey of Ray Burris to Port Charlotte, FL during Rangers spring training (Burris was assistant pitching coach). Burris saw it and lit up, saying that the Cubs were the only MLB team of the many he played with that never let him keep a jersey (pretty normal for when Yosh Kowano was equipment manager and the Wrigleys owned the team)

Unfortunately, he lowballed me with a trade offer of 2 signed Nolan Ryan baseballs. I politely declined, although I saw him a number of times in the 1990s and early 2000s at the Rick Wilkins Foundation Dinner.

Dave Miedema

Mattapan03, no offense taken, it's all good man. With a few threads on the boards similar to this one, I've probably posted my story in all of them and can see how that can get annoying reading the same thing time and time again, and for that I do apologize.
    Now if I can kinda get this thread back on track, Stapleton is interested in his Steelers rookie practice jersey that I have and told my uncle he would trade me for it, just haven't heard from him yet.

Here's a variation on this theme. During one of my conversations with former 2000 Met Bubba Trammell he reminisced about his first game as a Met after being traded from the Rays. In his first at bat as a Met he hit a home run. The Mets wore their black alternate home jerseys that day and he wished he was able to save that jersey. As fate would have it I was able to find what I think is the jersey and arranging for it to be sent to Bubba next week. He viewed some photos of the jersey and the tagging and verified from photos he had the jersey tagging matches the one he wore. He's very happy to get that jersey back!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

I saw a post on a Facebook game used group asking second hand (on behalf of the player) about that players jersey for his dad and listing the auction where it was sold. Random dumb luck, I own it.

I contact the poster, we talk, I ask for less than I won it for, plus a photo of him holding it when he gets it so I know it is where I believe it belongs. The player is thrilled! Everything seems like it is flowing, I post the jersey is going back to it's wearer, tons of positive support from the collecting community and I'm just happy it's going to someone who, without a doubt, will treasure it the most.

But in the last 4 months, the player never contacted me. Oh well, it's still wrapped and ready to ship when he has the time.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I have some story relating to this.

The Seattle Mariners had a tall pitcher names Ryan Anderson. They dubbed him the "Little Unit" as Randy Johnson came before him.
    I had his game used Tacoma AAA jersey and was buying a few cards to display with it.
    In that time, on eBay you could contact anyone.

I won a rare card of his. Before I even got it, Ryan's DAD contacted me and said he tried to bid on it but his computer was down..... blah blah blah, can he buy it from my for what I paid, cause it's his son. Uh, really?
    I told him if he signed me a ball I'd TRADE him.

While talking with him I told him about the jersey and asked if he was interested. He tried to tell me Ryan already had EVERY jersey he ever wore.

No way. I got it directly from the Tacoma Rainiers and it was obviously his. It was even a giant size 56 or 58. He was 6'10"
    He never bought it from me.

Though he did get me Ichiro's auto during spring training, because I'd sent him some incredible shot of Ichiro I'd taken in 2002.

Biggest draft bust in Mariners history. He's now a chef in AZ.

At cubs convention this year I showed Anthony Rizzo's dad (he was working at a charity booth all weekend auctioning game used items) some pictures of my 2008 Rizzo glove and he immediately recognized it as Rizzo's first professional glove he used all year in 2008 (before I said it was in fact a 2008 used glove). He said rizzo was not given a glove for his few games in 2007 and that glove was a big thing to rizzo as his first professional one. I offered to swap it for a cubs glove since it had sentimental value but rizzo's dad didn't take up the offer.

I had sold a game used jersey to a players wife via Etsy. She recieved it and was very excited. She said that so many players wives from MLB are looking for their husbands items to surprise them. She asked me if it was ok to pass out my email. This was a couple years ago now and to this day I still get a bunch of requests and have made some cool contacts.