Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

I've been having an ongoing discussion with another forum member over email related to making deals with players for their game used jerseys, bats, etc.

Has anyone out there come across this situation --

You show a player his original bat, jersey, etc. (it could be for his signature, etc.) and that player realizes the significance of that particular item from his career and then offers you cash on the spot for your item? or a trade for a different game used item from his own personal collection?

If so, please post stories!!

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

In the late 1980's, I took a game used rookie jersey of a baseball player to a card show to get the player to sign it. The player was surprised and delighted to see it, and signed it as requested. When he signed it, he was sitting next to the show promoter at the table. The show promoter contacted me later since he knew me through the hobby and said the player really wanted the shirt back, but was too shy to ask me, so the promoter offered to buy it and give it back to the player. I gladly accepted the offer, and sold the shirt to the promoter for my cost, $100. Many years later, I saw a photo of the player's personal TV or game room at home, and I could see the jersey displayed in the corner.

Tom Duino

Nick, great post.

I've often wondered the same thing. I haven't had any offers from the players to get their equipment back, but they have always thanked me for showing me the items and graciously signed.

(This reminds me of Howard's classic, timeless story of his experience with Kirk Gibson at the ballpark and Gibson's game used helmet.)

How about his scenario: Has anyone ever had an auction on eBay that was pursued by a player or their agent?

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

In 1987, Willie Mays signed a game bat for me. As I was walking around the card show after, the man who was representing Mays told me "Mr. Mays would like to know if you would sell him the bat." I had just bought the bat a few weeks prior for $600.(inflation?) He said Willie told him he was prepared to pay $1000. Even though the $400 profit seemed like a lot back then, I respectfully declned. The autograph cost me $10 that day. How I yearn for the old days.

Banned

While living in Seattle in 1993, I went to the Mariners game when they were playing the Royals. At the time, I had quite a few game used Expos batting helmets, and had pitcher Chris Haney's rookie helmet. It was extremely nice, not only for the fact that it was a pitchers helmet, but it was also a rookie 1991 gamer with the Desert Storm sticker on back (the tough Canadian version as compared to the U.S. version).

I arrived during the Royals batting practice, and asked Haney to come over to the railing near home plate, in order to seek an autograph on the helmet. When I handed him the helmt and pen, he looked at me as though he had seen a ghost! Not only was he extremely surprised that I had it, he indicated it was indeed his from his rookie season! He then said, "I'd love to have this back". He indicated he collected some of his game used items, and would enjoy adding this to his collection. I informed him that I would trade him the helmet for an equal value game used item. He said he only had a backup Rawlings glove, and would trade me for the helmet. When I agreed, he went into the locker room, and came back with the glove. We made the trade, and I sold the glove the following day.

Another player who traded with me was pitcher Mike Jackson. When he came over from the Phillies to the M's, I went to the game with his rookie Phillies jersey in hand, in hopes of getting it autographed. When I approched him, it was a similar situation as Haney. In summary, Jackson said to come down near the dugout after the game, and he would work a trade. Sheepishly, I asked him for his game worn M's jersey. After the game, he handed me a brown bag, and asked if it was "O.K"????? Inside the bag was his current season's home jersey. At the time, M's jerseys were extremely scarce, thus, I made the trade.

The Kirk Gibson story? It will have to wait until another Forum reader makes a post seeking stories about players who desire to fight with fans.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I will be missing Sportsfest in Chicago this weekend to attend the Cardinals-Angels series in St. Louis. I am taking my two Vladimir Guerrero minor league jerseys for him to sign. One jersey is already signed on the front but I want to get him to sign it on the back as well. I haven't really thought about what I would say if he were to ask to get them from me. I expect he would want them back as they were his first two jerseys he wore as a professional. I would ask for a trade but I don't know what would be fair since these are so rare and basicly one of a kind compared to one of his regular Angels jerseys. Here are the jerseys.

What would be a fair trade if he were to want them back?

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

1. I sent a mid -70's Twins jersey gamer of Harmon Killebrew to a show to have him sign it "game used". I got an email after the signing saying that Harmon didn't want to sign it because he wanted it back. The agent gave Harmon my number and sent my jersey back unsigned. He said Harmon would call me within the next 2 weeks and wanted to work out a deal. I waited and waited, but he never called. I didn't care if we worked out a deal or not, it would have been cool to talk to the Killer.
    2. Chris Smith who has many of his game used items in the Reds Museum had Cesar Geronimo sign his game used 1976 Bicentennial bat at a show. Bat has real nice use and Cesar told him that he remembered that bat. When Chris asked him how? Cesar replied by the big Red bat rack steak that ran down the barrel of the bat. Chris didn't tell me if Cesar wanted the bat back, but I thought it was cool that he remembered the bat from 20-30 years ago. I have that bat now.
    3. Pete Rose came to my dad's sports museum opening in Medford, Oregon in 1985. We hung out with him a lot. It was during my Junior year of high school basketball and we had a game that night. My dad was telling Pete how I was the best player in the state and Pete said I'll be there tonight to watch ya. He never showed. He said the next day that it would have caused too much of a ruckus if he showed up. Anyway, it would have been cool to tell people that Pete Rose came to see me play a game in high school.
    Greg

One of my GU collection focuses is jerseys, sneakers and shorts from Temple University Basketball players either in college or the pros (I have about 30). I had a great Mark Macon GU Nuggets jersey that I got for around $100. He was hired as a Temple asst coach and I brought the jersey to a "chalk talk" for season ticket holders for him to sign.

I approached him afterward and he held up the jersey and said he had been looking for one for years, that he was collecting these and that the NBA would not (or could not) even give him a reproduction. He announced this in from of about 20 onlookers waiting to speak with him. I should have asked him for a trade, but instead I just gave it to him. I guess I just felt like it was his and if I was in his position I would hope someone would give it back.

Of course my motives were not entirely pure, I asked him to help me get access to Temple basketball jerseys. These do not come into the market and I have been trying for years to find a source.

Macon never returned my calls or letters and I never got anything in return for my good deed. Further, I have been unable to find any Macon jerseys on the market so it has become a gaping hole in my collection to boot. OUCH

This thought came to mind after 3 events --

1. an email conversation regarding possibilities of approaching ballplayers to make a trade.

2. recollection of the events around my buying a jersey last year. It was a 1982 baby blue Texas Rangers jersey issued to Ron Darling. Had Darling not been traded to the Mets prior to making his first start in the majors, this would have been his rookie jersey. Certainly an odd find, not a game used jersey, but nevertheless a rare collectible. Anyway, the guy who sold it to me told me that he brought it to Ron for a signature, and Ron told him that he would love to have the jersey. The guy politely declined, Ron signed the jersey, and some 15 years later it made its way into my collection.

3. tossing around a wacky scenario in my head. A few weeks ago, I met Bill Robinson at a signing. While he signed a ball for me, I struck up a conversation with him where I told him that I had in my collection his game worn alternate black Pirates jersey from their 1979 championship season. He seemed taken back by this but at the same time I could see that this made him hppy/proud -- as a collector, I could basically looked to add any player's item to my collection, but I chose his.
    Now, reality turns to fantasy, and I could imagine the conversation taking a twist and Bill turning around to ask me if he could have the jersey -- and similar to Howard's story, I offer him a swap for one of his Mets jerseys from their championship season...which would mean far more to me... doesn't sound so far fetched the more I play it in my head, and the more I read here...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    1. I sent a mid -70's Twins jersey gamer of Harmon Killebrew to a show to have him sign it "game used". I got an email after the signing saying that Harmon didn't want to sign it because he wanted it back. The agent gave Harmon my number and sent my jersey back unsigned. He said Harmon would call me within the next 2 weeks and wanted to work out a deal. I waited and waited, but he never called. I didn't care if we worked out a deal or not, it would have been cool to talk to the Killer.
    2. Chris Smith who has many of his game used items in the Reds Museum had Cesar Geronimo sign his game used 1976 Bicentennial bat at a show. Bat has real nice use and Cesar told him that he remembered that bat. When Chris asked him how? Cesar replied by the big Red bat rack steak that ran down the barrel of the bat. Chris didn't tell me if Cesar wanted the bat back, but I thought it was cool that he remembered the bat from 20-30 years ago. I have that bat now.
    3. Pete Rose came to my dad's sports museum opening in Medford, Oregon in 1985. We hung out with him a lot. It was during my Junior year of high school basketball and we had a game that night. My dad was telling Pete how I was the best player in the state and Pete said I'll be there tonight to watch ya. He never showed. He said the next day that it would have caused too much of a ruckus if he showed up. Anyway, it would have been cool to tell people that Pete Rose came to see me play a game in high school.
    Greg
    Greg-

I visited this museum back in 1987. It was a converted bank, correct? I also believe there is a very sad ending to this, correct?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net