Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

A question for EVERY single member of this forum

I have been reading a lot lately about the mishandling of game used items by certain auction etc.Myself i mainly collect bats but own a jersey.I can tell you that i have tried on the jersey and i swing my bats from time to time.My question is am i the only one??I'm sure that a vast majority of you collectors out there have done the same thing.And how many of you and these items have been sold to other collectors??My point is i believe this subject is being blown way out of proportion!Granted most of us aren't photographed while doing.But i can guarantee if you have items in your collection that you have bought from other collectors that they have been handled similarly to way that most of you are "digusted" by..........
    jon
    Always looking for Manny Ramirez game used items

Re: A question for EVERY single member of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by jon_8_us View Post
    I have been reading a lot lately about the mishandling of game used items by certain auction etc.Myself i mainly collect bats but own a jersey.I can tell you that i have tried on the jersey and i swing my bats from time to time.My question is am i the only one??I'm sure that a vast majority of you collectors out there have done the same thing.And how many of you and these items have been sold to other collectors??My point is i believe this subject is being blown way out of proportion!Granted most of us aren't photographed while doing.But i can guarantee if you have items in your collection that you have bought from other collectors that they have been handled similarly to way that most of you are "digusted" by..........
    jon

make that "disgusted"

RyanZimmerman11

The big difference is....and this coming from a collector, not a dealer/seller...

If I were to try on any of my GU jerseys, or take a few swings with my bats...I would disclose that information if I were to ever sell the item. That's common sense and common courtesy.

Most collectors are under the inpression that the player of said GU jersey/warm-up was the last person to ever have it on. That's what typically adds to the appeal of such an item.

None of us, certainly not me...wants some...hmm..to put this nicely...dealer who's trying his best to sell me on how great of an item this is, running around in the jersey, warm-up or whatever the item might be....right before he sells it to me.

Same goes for cleats or any other wearable piece of memorabilia.

Just my .02,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by RyanZimmerman11 View Post
    The big difference is....and this coming from a collector, not a dealer/seller...

If I were to try on any of my GU jerseys, or take a few swings with my bats...I would disclose that information if I were to ever sell the item. That's common sense and common courtesy.

Most collectors are under the inpression that the player of said GU jersey/warm-up was the last person to ever have it on. That's what typically adds to the appeal of such an item.

None of us, certainly not me...wants some...hmm..to put this nicely...dealer who's trying his best to sell me on how great of an item this is, running around in the jersey, warm-up or whatever the item might be....right before he sells it to me.

Same goes for cleats or any other wearable piece of memorabilia.

Just my .02,
    Jay
    Agreed.I believe that dealers doing this is just bad business.And as for your disclosure of an item you may have worn you would be the first!
    jon

jon,

i've tried on some of my jerseys. by "try on", i mean put on for literally a couple of minutes. i haven't wear them around town, i haven't eaten in them, etc.

i'm a little more careful when handling my bats because i don't want even a speck of pinetar to come off. one of my bats, a joe carter, has a small red thread stuck to the pinetar. carter was known to wear batting gloves with a red-threaded back. i've done my utmost to make sure that that small red thread not be disturbed.

"My point is i believe this subject is being blown way out of proportion!Granted most of us aren't photographed while doing.But i can guarantee if you have items in your collection that you have bought from other collectors that they have been handled similarly to way that most of you are "digusted" by"

jon, you've missed one crucial point here: most of us don't do these things with other people's items. we do it with items we own. AMI did it with other peoples items and i'm guessing they didn't have permission. if i want to wear my roberto kelly jersey around the house while swinging my rickey henderson bat around like a maniac, then those are my items. i've paid for them and if they incur any damage as a result of my horseplay then it's my items that i've damaged. this is not the case when an auction house takes items belonging to consigners and plays a few rounds of whiffle ball with them. if you sent me a jersey to authenticate, how would you feel if you saw pics of me wearing it while wrestling with my friend? point is, if it's your item, then you've got the right to do what you wish. on the other hand, if someone has entrusted their item to you, then you clearly don't have this right. consigners expect that auction houses will treat their items carefully and with respect. clearly, ami didn't.

rudy.

Agreed.I believe that dealers doing this is just bad business.And as for your disclosure of an item you may have worn you would be the first!
    jon

"I turn the lights down low...and hold my bat and there bat at the same time......

bow chicky bow wow"

RyanZimmerman11

jon
    That's a shame, I thought there we other honest people out there Joking aside, I'm far from new in the overall hobby of sports cards and memorabilia. I've seen some lowlife actions..such as overhearing a deal at a failry large and recognizable show telling his buddy how he removes autos from mulitsigned balls so that they sell more as single signed balls....despicable.

But as I said, I am not a seller or a dealer..just a run of the mill collector. So if I ever was in a bad way and was forced to sell my item, and I had in fact tried it on, I would want the poor sap that was buying to think he was getting any more or any less than what he was truly getting.

That and I am a FIRM believer in Karma

RyanZimmerman11

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    jon,

If i want to wear my roberto kelly jersey around the house while swinging my rickey henderson bat around like a maniac, then those are my items.

Sorry, I know this is a serious topic...but I actually laughed out loud while picturing this....it was part Risky Business/part Major League LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RyanZimmerman11 View Post
    Sorry, I know this is a serious topic...but I actually laughed out loud while picturing this....it was part Risky Business/part Major League LOL
    It can't be a serious subject because i'm not a serious enough guy .Rudy what you say is right on the money.I guess i just think of all my items being swung and/or tried on and the fact that everyone else probably does the same.These items are sold collector to collector so i guess we can expect a reasonable amount of these items to be worn/swung by others.But i must say that i also keep a very large amount of respect for my collection and am careful when i take a bat of the rack...
    jon

Great stuff Jon!

I wore my Mike DiFelice game used jersey with team letter to a Devil Rays game in April and my son spilled some chocolate ice cream on it .

No problem , a little spray stuff on the spots before throwing it the washer and dried it on low . Came out beautiful . Even got the dust stains out that were there on the top shoulders from when I bought it . It all came out .

I swing my bats , put on my fielders glove , played catch with a couple of them before as well . My son put on the TBTC batting helmets I have.

I did NOT try on my Jose Guillen game used cap though .

I was NOT impressed with AMI'S Catalog . Not disgusted either though , didn't bother me . I was impressed with the short mini-skirt though . I am sure they handled the stuff with care . After all we're talking money .....