Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The Unwritten Rules of this Forum

My apologies, folks. I simply said, "nice jersey" and asked why people post in pick up threads and then put them on eBay the next day. No one was "trashing" the thread, and no one was claiming anything. My question was pretty sincere/simple and it was turned into something negative with the following post. That's why I asked for a personal pm if you had anything additional to say, which you did. But before I even saw it, a new thread was made on the subject, which is kind of surprising, considering it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

But you guys are right--

I am jealous of the JD Drew jersey
    And I do trash the pick up threads with "un-needed pickups"- (yeah, I don't know what that means either)

Now we can get back to collecting...

If you had simply left it at "nice jersey", fine. My main issue was with the follow-up post which said quote, "it was pretty evident what was being done here. We see it all the time." That is not only accusatory in its nature, but it also comes across as extremely arrogant, as if "we" relates to some higher form of collector that would never post of a picture of a new item, then sell it.

Now I can get back to collecting with the common folk...

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    My apologies, folks. I simply said, "nice jersey" and asked why people post in pick up threads and then put them on eBay the next day. No one was "trashing" the thread, and no one was claiming anything. My question was pretty sincere/simple and it was turned into something negative with the following post. That's why I asked for a personal pm if you had anything additional to say, which you did. But before I even saw it, a new thread was made on the subject, which is kind of surprising, considering it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

But you guys are right--

I am jealous of the JD Drew jersey
    And I do trash the pick up threads with "un-needed pickups"- (yeah, I don't know what that means either)

Now we can get back to collecting...

Got it. Sorry I hurt your feelings. Good luck in your sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    Let me be clear, that I don't care, but I would assume most people see this behavior as an extension of his rule:

4. No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, item for sale (other than in the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' section as per its rules), forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

While you aren't specifically promoting it for sale on eBay, I think some feel the spirit of the thread is to show-off items that were recently added to one's personal collection and not something that will be quickly flipped to make a buck. Again, no judgement, just relaying the interpretation as I have always understood this "unwritten" rule.
    This is correct. The moderators have had discussions about these "show and sell" posts. So yes posting an item in the pickups thread and putting it on ebay within a few days is the same as promoting the sale as far as our guidelines go.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    Let me be clear, that I don't care, but I would assume most people see this behavior as an extension of his rule:

4. No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, item for sale (other than in the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' section as per its rules), forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

While you aren't specifically promoting it for sale on eBay, I think some feel the spirit of the thread is to show-off items that were recently added to one's personal collection and not something that will be quickly flipped to make a buck. Again, no judgement, just relaying the interpretation as I have always understood this "unwritten" rule.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    This is correct. The moderators have had discussions about these "show and sell" posts. So yes posting an item in the pickups thread and putting it on ebay within a few days is the same as promoting the sale as far as our guidelines go.
    And, there you have it.

While I disagree wholeheartedy, if that is the rule then I will 100% abide by them in the future. But the problem is that its not a written rule, simply an interpretation of the existing rule discussed by moderators. I think you all need to revamp all of the forum rules to include every interpretation, opinion and unwritten rule because this one is extremely vague in its current form.

As a non-moderator, here is what I think the rule should include:
    * Which forums are prohibited from including photos of items that will one day be sold.
    * How many days a member must wait to sell an item, after posting any photo of it anywhere on the site.
    * Which moderators will set this time limit and then enforce it.
    * What sited are prohibited from being mentioned or posted on in order to comply with this rule (eBay, auction houses, Amazon, Craigslist, Instagram, Facebook, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post

I am just curious how he was promoting the sale of an item with his original post in the pick ups thread? Do people typically go check EBay every time they see something in that thread?

I feel the only way you would know it was up for sale on EBay is if you came across it in your normal searching. It isn't like his post made everyone run to EBay and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com View Post
    I am just curious how he was promoting the sale of an item with his original post in the pick ups thread? Do people typically go check EBay every time they see something in that thread?

I feel the only way you would know it was up for sale on EBay is if you came across it in your normal searching. It isn't like his post made everyone run to EBay and check it out.
    Yeah, the same question occurred to me. If another poster hadn't popped up dispensing that information, how would anyone have known?

Quote Originally Posted by fredskinz View Post
    If you had simply left it at "nice jersey", fine. My main issue was with the follow-up post which said quote, "it was pretty evident what was being done here. We see it all the time." That is not only accusatory in its nature, but it also comes across as extremely arrogant, as if "we" relates to some higher form of collector that would never post of a picture of a new item, then sell it.
    I'm pretty certain that in the context of what was written, "we" would refer to various members of the forum. It didn't come off as arrogant when I read it, but that's just me.