Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

In the late 1980's, I took a game used rookie jersey of a baseball player to a card show to get the player to sign it. The player was surprised and delighted to see it, and signed it as requested. When he signed it, he was sitting next to the show promoter at the table. The show promoter contacted me later since he knew me through the hobby and said the player really wanted the shirt back, but was too shy to ask me, so the promoter offered to buy it and give it back to the player. I gladly accepted the offer, and sold the shirt to the promoter for my cost, $100. Many years later, I saw a photo of the player's personal TV or game room at home, and I could see the jersey displayed in the corner.

Tom Duino

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

Nick, great post.

I've often wondered the same thing. I haven't had any offers from the players to get their equipment back, but they have always thanked me for showing me the items and graciously signed.

(This reminds me of Howard's classic, timeless story of his experience with Kirk Gibson at the ballpark and Gibson's game used helmet.)

How about his scenario: Has anyone ever had an auction on eBay that was pursued by a player or their agent?

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com