Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

David-

I found an article about your collection including the 4 Carter bats you mentioned above. Good stuff!

http://www.psacard.com/smrweb/backis...ollector.chtml

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Thanks Eric!

Glad you enjoyed the article.

-David

Awesome article....

I used to be a HUGE Duke collector and one day on Ebay I found a Brian Davis (Laettner's best friend) game-used shoe from when he was with the T-Wolves. It was signed "Brian Davis T-Wolves". Laettner had gotten him a tryout a couple years after graduation. Anyway, in big bold letters on the heal of the shoe was written "HURLEY" which I thought long and hard about and did some research and figured out it was at the time he had had his accident and it was a tribute to him by Brian. Well for my honey moon my wife and I went to a celebrity basketball game at Duke and Brian played. People were having him autograph programs and such. When I handed himn the shoe, he was "shocked" to say the least and when I showed him the heal it "brought back memories" I could tell. He verified the story I had made up in my head about how "HURLEY" got on there and personalized it to me. I look back now and figure he probably would like to have had it, but he knew what it meant to me. Anyway, he never asked for it, but I know he appreciated seeing it again for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    I used to be a HUGE Duke collector and one day on Ebay I found a Brian Davis (Laettner's best friend) game-used shoe from when he was with the T-Wolves. It was signed "Brian Davis T-Wolves". Laettner had gotten him a tryout a couple years after graduation. Anyway, in big bold letters on the heal of the shoe was written "HURLEY" which I thought long and hard about and did some research and figured out it was at the time he had had his accident and it was a tribute to him by Brian. Well for my honey moon my wife and I went to a celebrity basketball game at Duke and Brian played. People were having him autograph programs and such. When I handed himn the shoe, he was "shocked" to say the least and when I showed him the heal it "brought back memories" I could tell. He verified the story I had made up in my head about how "HURLEY" got on there and personalized it to me. I look back now and figure he probably would like to have had it, but he knew what it meant to me. Anyway, he never asked for it, but I know he appreciated seeing it again for sure.
    B1SON,

That's a great story. If you wouldn't mind, please email me at rgf2@hotmail.com - I'd love to hear about your Duke Blue Devils collection!

Best,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I just saw in the news forum the article about Al Leiter wanting to buy the pitching rubber that the guy brought in to a card show for him to sign that has guys with no-hitters signatures on it. Very cool piece. The offer of $2,500 is a joke, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    I just saw in the news forum the article about Al Leiter wanting to buy the pitching rubber that the guy brought in to a card show for him to sign that has guys with no-hitters signatures on it. Very cool piece. The offer of $2,500 is a joke, in my opinion.
    I bet it's the last time that collector brings his daughter to a show with him.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Thought I'd bump this one since it has been years since it was last added to. Anyone have any good stories regarding players making an offer to buy back their old stuff from you, the collector?
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

Talking Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    While living in Seattle in 1993, I went to the Mariners game when they were playing the Royals. At the time, I had quite a few game used Expos batting helmets, and had pitcher Chris Haney's rookie helmet. It was extremely nice, not only for the fact that it was a pitchers helmet, but it was also a rookie 1991 gamer with the Desert Storm sticker on back (the tough Canadian version as compared to the U.S. version).

I arrived during the Royals batting practice, and asked Haney to come over to the railing near home plate, in order to seek an autograph on the helmet. When I handed him the helmt and pen, he looked at me as though he had seen a ghost! Not only was he extremely surprised that I had it, he indicated it was indeed his from his rookie season! He then said, "I'd love to have this back". He indicated he collected some of his game used items, and would enjoy adding this to his collection. I informed him that I would trade him the helmet for an equal value game used item. He said he only had a backup Rawlings glove, and would trade me for the helmet. When I agreed, he went into the locker room, and came back with the glove. We made the trade, and I sold the glove the following day.

Another player who traded with me was pitcher Mike Jackson. When he came over from the Phillies to the M's, I went to the game with his rookie Phillies jersey in hand, in hopes of getting it autographed. When I approched him, it was a similar situation as Haney. In summary, Jackson said to come down near the dugout after the game, and he would work a trade. Sheepishly, I asked him for his game worn M's jersey. After the game, he handed me a brown bag, and asked if it was "O.K"????? Inside the bag was his current season's home jersey. At the time, M's jerseys were extremely scarce, thus, I made the trade.

The Kirk Gibson story? It will have to wait until another Forum reader makes a post seeking stories about players who desire to fight with fans.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Haney actually ended up dealing with me, as well. It was 1994 spring training, and my wife and I attended the Royals home opener (against UCF) in which Haney, coming off surgery, was to pitch the first two innings.

I had an Expos game jersey of his that I brought along. I showed it to him, and he definitely was interested. We worked out a trade, in which he would give me the jersey he was wearing (BP style with NOB) after he was done pitching. I agreed, gave him the Expos piece, and, sure enough, about the 5th inning, teammate Dave Henderson comes out and tosses me Haney's shirt from that day.

Dave Miedema

Great thread guys! I was wondering would you make a trade even if the piece you were getting in return was worth way less than what you were trading? Does getting the piece directly(sometimes right off their back) from the player make it way more valuable to you personally therefore it doesn't really matter?