Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

Yea, that's the place Howard. That was my father's. He had about everything: Babe Ruth complete uniform, Players rings, team trophies, tons of gamers, 3 Honus Wagner T206 cards, etc. I think he charged a dollar a person to come view it all. It really was amazing. This was mid-80's before everyone starting going crazy collecting the stuff. He did a lot of business with Rose. He had Rose's Hickcock belt and many of his bats, rings, etc. In two of Rose's books-Hustle and the Rose/Giamatti book it talks of their business dealings for a couple of pages. It all ended ugly in 1987 when Dennis Walker was found dead in a Vegas hotel. Foul play was what the FBI determined. All his stuff disappeared. It's a long story. My father was doing some shady things with some shady people unfortunately. My mom and his 5 sons had to move to Nevada to live with my Mom's parents. He left us with nothing. For my graduation in 87 he had given me a Michael Jordan rookie home jersey. BUT, we had to sell it two years later to pay bills. Sold it for 2,000! If nothing else he left us with the sports collecting bug and all of his sons are doing really well: College professor, Lawyer, High School teacher and coach, and two big time insurance guys. That's the story in a nut shell.
    Greg

Guys great stories I have none to add ecept when I went to get my Mitchell & Ness Dykstra signed a few weeks ago he complimented me on the jersey as in his words bitching .I told him how it was an honor to meet him because he was my favorite player growing up.We had about a 10 minute conversation.We shook and he gladly posed for a photo.

Banned

I once showed Tony Perez one of his Rookie H&B bats and he freaked out. He looked at it, swang it and signed it on the barrell. Then he looked at me and asked if he could buy it for his family. I automatically said yes and told him that I originally paid 750 for it and that I would let it go for the same price. Eventhough $ 750 is a good deal for a rookie 1965 H&B bat......He said no and left it alone. I guess only us collector buy items for there memories !!!!

Juan Iglesias
    GrndSlm@aol.com

Last year, I got a message about one of the Notre Dame game worn jerseys I had listed on ebay. It was a former player, who asked how I got his jersey, and wanted to buy it back. I went to return the message only to discover another ebay ID had already bought the jersey for the buy-it-now. So now I am trying to figure out how to handle the situation, because I want to get the jersey back to the player, but now have another ebayer who has not only bought it, but also already paid via paypal. Fortunately, the ebay buyer turned out the be the player's dad who also saw the jersey and bought it for his son before anyone else could get it. So the jersey is back in his possession now. That's the only time I've had that happen, but pretty cool story with a happy ending.
    -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled

I think some player's either have no clue or play dumb on game used stuff. With checks they are cashing, I'm always amazed when they try to get stuff for next to nothing.

rose14.....let us know how it goes with Vlad. It seems he knows the market on stuff. Seems he has friends or something that move stuff of his on ebay. IE his pink bat was already on the market from 2007. I'd want his game used jersey in return (really would ask for sweet new red alternate) and a nice used bat.

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave

Banned

Ericdavisfan can you email me admin@gameuseddirect.com

I thought of a couple other stories along the lines of a player wanting his own item.

About ten years ago, UCLA conducted a sale with game used equipment items in February before one of their home basketball games. The football season obviously ends in January latest for college teams. One of the better senior football players who had completed his eligibility was in the sales tent with his parents. I happened to see his jersey in one of the sales piles for $50.00, and picked it up along with several others I wanted to purchase. Within a few minutes, I heard him saying something about looking for and not being able to find his own jerseys as he was standing near me. Of course, I turned to him told him I had it in my stack of items selected for purchase, and he could have it if he wanted. He was very excited about this turn of events. He had graciously signed other items for me earlier in his UCLA career, and I knew the jersey meant something to him because he was there looking for it.

Twenty years ago, another UCLA senior football player who had finished his eligibility sold me his Rose Bowl and Pac 10 championship ring, along with a game used jersey since the school gave him four of his jerseys. Like many college kids, he needed the money at the time. About 15 years later, I heard through a mutual acquaintance that he had established himself in the business world and wanted the ring. I never pursued this any more since this ring is a great item that I want to keep, and still have the ring in my collection.

Tom Duino

Quote Originally Posted by EricDavis44fan View Post
    Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave
    Good stuff. Next time you see him, tell him to come by the forum.
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Last year I traded Ed Hearn's wife the jersey that he wore on the field for the 86 Mets reunion ceremony which I had won in the MLB auction for the unworn jersey the Mets sent him home with.

A couple of years ago when I showed Gary Carter and his agent Mead Chasky a photo of the 4 milestone bats I own, Mead game me his card because he wanted to see if I'd like sell them back to him. I offered to trade a game used jersey for one of the bats but he declined.

David