Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jack Lambert / Vintage Authentics Lot #2

Vintages Authentics

(current auction)

I have an email into Steve Jensen concerning this…but I wanted to share my thoughts with fellow forum members and any prospective buyers. I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to Steelers game used jersey and when I saw this lot and immediate red flag went up!!! Here is my point of contention with Lou Lampson’s COA…

Yes, Lambert was known ONLY to wear long sleeves…I have never seen one photo of Lambert, wearing short sleeves…no matter what the weather! Lampson indicates the jersey was long sleeved and custom cut and hemmed. I have seen that on Steelers game used jerseys; however, there should be some remnants of the elbow pad stitching in the sleeve striping. See picture of Franco Harris below. With this HUGE disparity, it’s unbelievable that Lampson would grade this jersey a 9….
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Jack Lambert / Vintage Authentics Lot #2

I spoke to Steve Jensen who informed me that Lou Lampson would be in town at Vintage Authentics this weekend and he would discuss my concerns with him....stand by for updates...

When Mitchell & Ness came out with the black Lambert Steelers jersey a few years back, I noticed that they made it short sleeved. Not really surprising, seeing they were making other Steelers jerseys as well. They put the Superbowl X Bicentennial patch on it as well. When I look at Getty, the only pic of Lambert I can find from that game, has him in long sleeves and with no patch. Some pics show players with the patch, others show Steelers w/o. Anyone have that game recorded?

Doh. Just found one at SI pics that shows him wearing the patch in that game. Jersey change during the game, maybe?

For hypothetical reason, lets say Lou Lampson is correct and this jersey was long sleeved, cut and custom hemmed...compare it to a "long sleeved" Lambert jersey in American Memorabilia several years back (I have seen this jersey in person and thought it was the nicest Lambert to hit the market)....not only does the "short sleeved" Lambert have no remnants of stitching from elbow pads, but another glaring issue! The sleeves stripes on the "short sleeved" Lambert sit too "high". If you were to cut and hem the "long sleeved" Lambert, would it match the "short sleeved" version? I say no! The sleeve stripes on the "long sleeved" are almost below the front # and on the "short sleeved" the start in the middle of the front #...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=35735

Lampson makes note of this jersey being originally manufactured w/ long sleeves and elbow pads, but no mention of this in the COA on the '84 Lambert?????

Steve Jensen has spoken to Lou Lampson concerning my issues with the jersey...here is the response verbatim.....

"Lou is here. he said that the Lambert is cut so high you wouldn't see elbow pad remnants. He said that if it were late
    70's-1981 the remnants were more pronounced. It has a lot of use and lamberts are pretty rare"

I am awaiting a response from Steve as I’m not sure what Lou means when he says “it’s cut so high”……what is cut so high? All the sleeves stripes are intact? This makes no sense to me! I am awaiting a response…..where are my fellow Steelers collectors on this issue?????

Here's a few pics. First one is from the 83 season the other two are from the 84 season.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Nice photos....

Look at the drape on the '78 jersey...made to fit over shoulder pads. Moreover, look at the material space between the shoulder #'s. It's my opinion that this '84 version was manufactured originally as a short sleeve jersey, NOT worn by Lambert and most likely a store bought authentic Sand Knit jersey.....

Lambert's Hall of Fame display....notice elbow pads into sleeve material....