Jim Kelly from October 14, 1986....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: New Football Items

More photos from 1986...

Other photos circa. 1986/1987...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

more pics from '86. the pic of smith with his jersey untucked is a still from a video of the 1986 training camp.

maybe i'm wrong but isn't '86 the last year that they wore the blue facemasks? if so, then wouldn't any pic of kelly with a blue facemask necessarily be only from '86?

rudy.

Banned

Everyone, I think you are looking at the width of the numbers when you should look at the style of the numbers. The style of the numbers are completely different than the pictures supplied. What you should do is try and match the one and two to any Bills players numbers from those couple years, not just Kelly pictures. Number slants and the block spacing within the numeral two.

I believe the photo of Kelly on the 87 Pro Fooball Year Book, posted by Chris, is like the font on my jersey. I also like the 8/19/86 picture posted by Eric. I do agree that matching the font style does not have to be on Kelly only. Thanks for the effort, it is appreciated.

Roger

Dumb question-

How do we know that letter from the Bills goes with that jersey?

Perhaps it's a cynical view but:

Is it possible that the letter went with a jersey that was described in the letter- a Kelly rookie, but someone has since put it with a jersey with an unusual font?
    I realize that would hurt the provenance of the first jersey in my example, but it would help a jersey with an unusual font.

Or, is it possible that a charity jersey from the team is not exactly what they thought it is and that it's an honest mistake? Teams don't always know the things that game used collectors would. Any idea when this was auctioned off? Seems like it was a long time ago because there's no website address on the letter.
    Eric
    Just my opinion, but i don't feel that we have quite seem a photo style match for a Buffalo Bills player on a "1" or a "2" on the front of back.

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    I believe the photo of Kelly on the 87 Pro Fooball Year Book, posted by Chris, is like the font on my jersey. I also like the 8/19/86 picture posted by Eric. I do agree that matching the font style does not have to be on Kelly only. Thanks for the effort, it is appreciated.

Roger
    u are saying the photo on the 87 pro football year book is like the font on ur jersey ?? can u read ?? did u see the linemen next to kelly the 2s does NOT MATCH UR kelly , sorry to say this , its ok to make mistake sometime.
    now everyone is saying we should not focus on kelly to find the numbers match. well i only can find kelly wearing this style big block 12s in 1986 beacuse in 1987 the bills worn different numbers font as they worn champion style numbers. And in 1985 kelly was playing for houston USFL team ...
    marcus

Another good thing to check would be the Sports Illustrated Bills team video from 1987 (it would cover the 1986 season) they put one out for each team back in mid 80's to mid 90's. I've seen a few other teams and they show highlights from almost every game that season and recap the season. Usually can find them on video searches for teams on ebay for a few bucks.

this may help in dating the photos:

"In 1986, the Bills added the initials “PJM” to the front of their helmets above the facemask in memory of long-time team executive Patrick McGroeder, who passed away in February of that year."

the first 2 photos that marcus posted show kelly wearing a helmet, with blue facemask, and "pjm" sticker above the facemask. hence, they necessarily must be from 1986.

rudy.