Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Tom Seaver 1990 "coaches" Jersey

Some things that I noticed...
    First off - Tom Seaver was a Yankee broadcaster during 1990, so I'm not sure he would be at Mets camp early in the year. Second of all, the Mets did not wear game jerseys in Spring Training (at least not until this year).
    Third, every legit game used jersey that I've seen from the 1990 season has the strip tagging underneath the Rawlings tag (I have some pictures of examples that I can post when I get home). These appear on common players (like Darren Reed, Phil Lombardi, Chuck Hiller), which further reinforces this point. Fourth, the name looks a little spaced out and "flat" to me. It doesn't look right for some reason when compared with other jerseys from that year. However, the embroidery and tag style does look correct. Strange. Just my 2 cents!
    Chris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cbb5 View Post
    Second of all, the Mets did not wear game jerseys in Spring Training (at least not until this year).
    Chris
    Chris again I have to disagree. I myself was offered a 2001 Jim Leyritz Mets Spring Training Jersey which was actually a Regular season Jersey.

Here are those pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Show me a picture with the Mets wearing a regular season style jersey in Spring Training before this year and I will believe you. I have been watching the Mets for my entire life and have never seen it until this year. If you do a search on Getty you'll see plenty of Spring Training photos with them wearing their bp jerseys. Any other Mets experts care to chime in?

Banned

Cris unfortunaltey i cant post the pics here as im not good with downloading the over sized pictures here but i can email the pictures to you of the jersey

Ok - thanks! I don't mean to come off like a jerk - I just honestly have never seen it. My email is cbb5@hotmail.com. Maybe the jersey was made up for Leyrits before the season and then he retired before the season started?

Tom Seaver was definitely a spring training instructor in 1999 however I don't think in 1990 because of his duties as a Yankee broadcaster as everyone noted in the previous posts.

My guess is this may be an Old Timers Game Jersey if anything.

I like Nick's approach to try to ask Seaver at the May 21 show as he is usually good about remember his game used stuff.

I did send an email to Seaver (from the contact Tom email address at www.tomterrificseaver.com with the ebay link to this jersey and let's see if we get any response.

David

I agree with the last poster that this likely is an Old Timers game jersey. The Mets were still doing Old Timers Days in the early 90s and Seaver did participate in a few of them.

dont think old timers jerseys would be tagged, i think the mets would have had cheap jerseys issued to the returning players, and how would they know what size to issue? many players come from far and away players, and just show up without any fittings? this could be a scoreboard jersey. Jeff

Here are two photos from George Kalinsky's NY Mets A Photograhic History book with Seaver wearing a similar pinstripe home uniform. The first photo is from 1988 becuase the Surf book the grounds crew member taking the photo is holding a 1988 Surf book under his arm. The second photo is not dated but could be from the same game. This does not prove anything about the 1990 jersey but demontrates that Seaver did wear home uniforms at Old Timer games.

The Mets did issue tagged jersey's during last years 86 Met reunion game and regarding how do they know what size i'm sure the team had to ask each player what size they would wear or want.

Not sure what they did in the 80's or nineties.

It would not be far fetched to think that the old timers jerseys are made from existing year stock which come in tagged and just numbered and names stitched in for the use for each old timer.

The Scoreboard theory is interesting though I'm not sure why a tagged 90 jersey of Seaver would be used considering he retired in 1987.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images