Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

Dave-I'm sure if you contact Mr. Clevenhagen and seek his permission to post his findings, he will allow it to be posted.

Dave-As noted to you in your other requests about this particular glove, Dave Bushing was comfortable providing the LOA on it for the Mastro auction. It's my understanding that tremendous research is conducted before they issue their LOA's on game used equipment. Dave and Troy may be able to put your concerns to rest, and provide you with the answers you so desperatley continue to seek. They can be contacted directly at: http://www.mearsonline.com/contact/

Did Denny supposedly disclose that this Jeter glove was "no good" during the same conversation he had with you when he informed you that YOUR RIPKEN GLOVE was not being included in the American Memorabila auction, because it had the incorrect lining, and was not possibly a Ripken game used glove? As a side note, didn't Mr. Eskin also indicate your glove was fake, yet Mr. Clevenhagen at Rawlings disputes this? Possibly you should locate a similar individual with Mizuno, and you'll learn that the Jeter glove that continues to trouble you was properly identified by Dave Bushing and sold correctly by Mastro.

All the best,
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,
    Denny did confirm that the Jeter glove you sold was in his opinion no good about one year ago. Your response when i ask you about this all time the time and ask for evidence that he used a Mizuno glove in game cation is always - "MEARS said it was good so it must have been good". This is coming from a person who advises to always do your own homework...

Bob Clevenhagen disputed that the lining was incorrect and confirmed to me that this glove was made for Cal Ripken.

Regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Dave-I'm sure if you contact Mr. Clevenhagen and seek his permission to post his findings, he will allow it to be posted.

Dave-As noted to you in your other requests about this particular glove, Dave Bushing was comfortable providing the LOA on it for the Mastro auction. It's my understanding that tremendous research is conducted before they issue their LOA's on game used equipment. Dave and Troy may be able to put your concerns to rest, and provide you with the answers you so desperatley continue to seek. They can be contacted directly at: http://www.mearsonline.com/contact/

Did Denny supposedly disclose that this Jeter glove was "no good" during the same conversation he had with you when he informed you that YOUR RIPKEN GLOVE was not being included in the American Memorabila auction, because it had the incorrect lining, and was not possibly a Ripken game used glove? As a side note, didn't Mr. Eskin also indicate your glove was fake, yet Mr. Clevenhagen at Rawlings disputes this? Possibly you should locate a similar individual with Mizuno, and you'll learn that the Jeter glove that continues to trouble you was properly identified by Dave Bushing and sold correctly by Mastro.

All the best,
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the response. Let me be more clear to the previous question I asked, and has not been addressed. Did Mr. Clevenger state in writing that this is the exact same type of Glove that Cal Ripken used in major league games?

Thanks,

Todd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yankees159 View Post
    Hi Dave:

Thanks for the response. Let me be more clear to the previous question I asked, and has not been addressed. Did Mr. Clevenger state in writing that this is the exact same type of Glove that Cal Ripken used in major league games?

Thanks,

Todd
    Todd-
    It's pretty well known that Bob Clevenhagen will write letters on game used gloves from time to time...in fact, I think AMI recently sold a Luis Tiant glove with a Clevenhagen letter. With that said, and to expand on on your previous question, can Dave answer if a letter exist on Rawlings letterhead from Bob Clevenhagen that states he made the glove for Ripken? If not, why doesn't the Ripken glove in the Hertiage auction have a letter from Clevenhagen?

Assuming Bob told Dave that he made this glove for Ripken...is it possible that Bob was emailed photos of the glove and initially believed it was a glove he made for Ripken, but later discovered a detail about the glove that led him to believe otherwise? Bob's a busy man, and also human...so it's possible his initial reaction to the glove was inaccurate. The fact that there isn't a Rawlings LOA (or any hard documentation from Bob) with this glove tells me that somewhere along the line he likely changed his tune.

Just my thoughts.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Has anyone ever thought of bringing the items in question to the actual players and not worrying about what authenticators say. Most MLB'ers outside of Bonds can be approached at the ballpark, the team hotel, through team reps etc.... Why when something is this important don't you go to the source. I had questions about a Magglio Ordonez item twice and both times I got responses from Maggs, once at the ballpark in Detroit and once at their hotel in Toronto. Don't keep guessing and basing the validity of the item on an authenticator...take some initiative and go to the source. These people tour all around the country, they are not on the other side of the world and they are far from unaproachable.

I purchased a Curtis Granderson game worn jersey from the tigers but it had no strip tagging on it so they couldn't verify when it was used, so what did I do...went to Curtis when the gates opened at an afternoon Tigers game, jersey in hand and talked it over with him and he told me exactly what it was, his 2004 call-up jersey.

If someone is trying to sell a fake very expensive game used item and you explain this to the athlete or to their rep or agent or member of the team, they will help you in determining its validity...it is definitley worth a shot, instead of playing the he said she said game....isn't it???

Howard,

Your assumptions are incorrect. In the meantime, let me know what kind of evidence you have that Jeter wore a Mizuno glove during a game...You seem to have no problem accepting MEARS findings when it comes to your items. Please let us see your photographice evidence for the Jeter glove, and stop hiding behind "MEARS said it was good so it must be" defense...If someone has access to Bob Malandro at Steiner, perhaps he can inquire from Derek and get an answer on the forum's behalf...

Regards,
    Dave

Yes Todd. In an e-mail after seeing about 12 photos of all the glove characteristics including the lining.

Thnaks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by yankees159 View Post
    Hi Dave:

Thanks,

Todd

Banned

I will be happy to go to the source on the Jeter issue. My best friend is the head concierge at the Yankees hotel when they stay in Toronto. I am allowed free rooms anytime, so I will make a day out of it with my family and take in the game while I'm there. I personally will sit in the lobby prior to the team leaving for the game and/or after the game (the majority of the team eats at the steakhouse across from the hotel anyways so they don't venture to far) and personally ask Mr. Jeter plain and simple has he ever used a Mizuno glove in a game. I know nothing of this glove, have never seen it, but would love to know the answer to this one. If someone can give me some more details (ie... colour etc...) I won't feel so stupid when I approach him.

Banned

September 11-13 they are in town... so this is two weeks away, the more details the better.

Hello Everyone,

I have read through this thread and think it is time for a process check. It seems to me this thread was created to help collectors understand more about the Cal Ripken Jr. glove currently in Heritage's auction. However, I noticed another item (the Derek Jeter glove) was brought up midstream. While it seems that the Jeter glove question may have educational value to collectors, I would like to remind everyone of the following forum rule:

No Topic Changing. Please do not derail threads because you do not agree with their content. If you do not like what you read, find or start a different thread.

Therefore, if anyone would like to continue a discussion of the Derek Jeter glove (which may very well have value for collectors), please create a new thread to discuss it. Discussing it in this thread is making it very confusing as things seem to keep changing from one topic to another.

As for the Ripken glove, given the lack of a letter from Mr. Clevenhagen, it seems to me that this thread has questioned whether or not Mr. Clevenhagen is completely aware of all aspects of the glove and whether or not he will fully support it as a glove used by Ripken (I am assuming that is how it is being sold). If there is some question around a potential misunderstanding of the glove, it would seem to me that it could be easily answered by contacting Mr. Clevenhagen directly. Am I off-base in that assumption?

Sincerely,
    Chris