Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    There are dozens of dedicated Ripken high-end collections and I know another with an identical looking Ripken glove (not autographed). I wonder where all these gloves came from and who owns the real Kansas City swiped glove. By the way, Cal always had a good backup mitt in his possession and knows those whereabouts too except the legitimate one he gave to a kid.

So who is telling the truth here? I believe Cal is.

I agree 100% with Brett's posting except I would buy the glove if it was characterized correctly as a factory game model and priced accordingly. It is still a great glove---but not for $2,999.

I can tell you with almost the highest probability that Cal also would never sign one of his gloves (except an unused glove) unless it came directly from him (and according to Cal that has never happened yet). He would recognize immediately if someone brought to him the Kansas City "missing" glove.

The glove Dave O'Brien purchased was autographed at the National in 2002.

So within the last 5 years since this glove was autographed it probably changed hands several times and my guess is someone worked it up as a game used glove.

This should be interesting what Chris Ivy does. Andrew

Great post Andrew:

One other missing piece that I forgot about, AMI sold what was generally regarded as a genuine Ripken game used glove several years ago. I belive it was examined by Denny Eskin and had an LOA from him. I will see if I can post the link if I can find it for examiniation purposes. That glove sold for I believe somewhere above $17 grand. Unless that glove is one of the four that I am familiar with, then that is at least a fifth glove out there and you mentioned another so that is six. If as you say the glove is labled correctly as a game issued then it would be a great piece to have. The problem is that when I spoke to Bob at Rawlings several months back he mentioned to me that Ripken gloves were reproduced as exact replicas that are so difficult to tell from the real thing that only the very foremost experts can tell them apart. That being said, Bob also said that anyone who had access to these gloves could take them to an adult twi-light league and instantly you have a Ripken game used glove.

Here is the info. from AMI on the Ripken glove from several years back. It would be interesting to know when that glove was stolen in KC or when Cal gave out the other one based on the date that this glove is reportedly from. I wonder if this could be one of those two. IF it is the real deal which several sources have told me it is, then it certainly must be one of those two gloves.

Lot 279: 1996-97 Cal Ripken Jr. Game-Worn Glove (Please read description)

Go Back | Read Description Bids: 25
    Acct No:
    High Bid:
    $19,707
    Auction Closed: 09/29/2005

Click Image to Enlarge

1996-97 Cal Ripken Jr. Game-Worn Glove (Please read description)

Cal Ripken Jr. has done pretty much everything during his extraordinary 21-year career. He holds the consecutive games streak that won't be beat in our lifetime, our children's lifetime or even our grandkids. He wasted no time when he entered the league in 1982 and won AL Rookie of the Year, won MVP in 1983 and 1991. Ripken also captured two Gold Glove awards while wearing this exact style glove. As do most players, Ripken took his time when breaking in a fielder's mitt. That's more than likely what stage this used Cal Ripken Jr. "Rawlings PRO-6 HF" glove was in. Heavy dirt but fairly stiff leather is exhibited on this 12" tan shortstop-third baseman "Heart of the Hide" treasure made from Horween leather. The "Gold Glove Series" piece features a 12" fastback and "Ripken" embroidered in black thread on the thumb.
    Authenticators

100% Authentic/Denny Esken (Read Details)
    100% Authentic Team (Read Details)
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

It's not the missing glove because Cal told me that this happened in the mid 1980's, well before names were stitched on gloves.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5202...A072F75BABAABF

A pic of the real inside of one of Cal's gloves. There should also be some substantial sweat staining/discoloration on the outside of the glove where his 4th finger was.

If anyone is serious in seeing what a real game used Ripken glove looks like, there is one on display at the Sports Legends Museum next to Camden Yards. This picture is only of the overall Ripken display (from their web site) but perhaps I (or another member) will get a better picture to post the next time I (or they) head down to a game.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Howard,

It is the same glove, and I can simply tell you that it has been confirmed by Bob Clevenhagen, the actual maker of these gloves, that there is not a problem with the lining as was originally noted on the forum.

Regards,

Dave
    Hi Dave:

If this is the case did Mr. Clevenhagen write a letter on this glove indicating that it is Game Used? This response does not answer the question of the glove being game used, it only speaks of the lining.

I look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Todd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yankees159 View Post
    Hi Dave:

If this is the case did Mr. Clevenhagen write a letter on this glove indicating that it is Game Used? This response does not answer the question of the glove being game used, it only speaks of the lining.

I look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Todd
    Todd-
    I'd like to see the written exchange between Dave O'Brien and Mr. Clevenhagen. At this point, who actually knows what was asked of Clevenhagen and what it was based on? If an exterior shot was forwarded to Rawlings, for all we know Clevenhagen could have said it looks good.

It's my understanding that a few of the readers on this site have communicated and still communicate with Mr. Clevenhagen and Denny Eskin. In a previous post, it was noted that Eskin felt the glove was not correct for a Ripken gamer. Is it possible for one of you who speaks with these experts to make a call and provide additional insight about this particular glove?

At this point, this has turned into a "he said, she said" exchange with Historic Auctions wondering what they actually have in their hands. Based on the other posts, it appears it's not a game used glove, as Ripken can account for all of them, except 2, and this is not one of them. Is it even a Ripken issued glove, or is there a problem with the lining, as previously noted and was never intended or made for Ripken's use?

Dave, several questions have been asked of you, yet no answers provided.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Todd-
    I'd like to see the written exchange between Dave O'Brien and Mr. Clevenhagen. At this point, who actually knows what was asked of Clevenhagen and what it was based on? If an exterior shot was forwarded to Rawlings, for all we know Clevenhagen could have said it looks good.

It's my understanding that a few of the readers on this site have communicated and still communicate with Mr. Clevenhagen and Denny Eskin. In a previous post, it was noted that Eskin felt the glove was not correct for a Ripken gamer. Is it possible for one of you who speaks with these experts to make a call and provide additional insight about this particular glove?

At this point, this has turned into a "he said, she said" exchange with Historic Auctions wondering what they actually have in their hands. Based on the other posts, it appears it's not a game used glove, as Ripken can account for all of them, except 2, and this is not one of them. Is it even a Ripken issued glove, or is there a problem with the lining, as previously noted and was never intended or made for Ripken's use?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    I'm sure by now Denny Eskin is aware of this thread, however, I will forward it to him to be sure.

This has been interesting reading and I really hope this comes to a solid conclusion.

Regards, Tony

Todd,

Bob explained that he cannot verify the path it took after it left him, and for that matter nobody can on many pieces of game used equipment, but that it was made for Cal Ripken by him. Similiar to bat records, I was able to verify it was made for the player. It would be up to collector's to judge wear characteristics, what cal has said in interviews, etc.., and make a decision on their comfort level...

Regards,
    Dave

At this point, this has turned into a "he said, she said" exchange with Historic Auctions wondering what they actually have in their hands.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Is that a typo? Is it Historic or Heritage that has the glove?

thanks. Andrew

Howard,

I am not about to take a person's private e-mails and post it on this forum without permission.

By the way, since we are on gloves, with regards to the jeter glove you sold some time back with mastro for 10k, did you ever find any evidence that shows Jeter using a Mizuno glove during an actual game. I spoke with Denny about that glove some time ago, and he told me it was no good as well.

Regards,
    Dave
    Todd-

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net