Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

I did notice that they have pulled an image of it from their most recent auction preview advertisement in SCD...Hopefully they'll have a shred of character and not auction it...

Banned

As an update to my previous post on this subject......

After speaking with Chris Ivie at Heritage, I understand that the glove in question was forwarded to Mr. Clevenhagen at Rawlings, in order to determine its authenticity, or lack of.

According to Chris, Mr. Clevenhagen has provided written confirmation that the glove was indeed made for Cal Ripken Jr. and shipped to him or his agent for his use on the field. Chris indicated he did not have the letter in front of him, however, provided the above summary. Likewise, he said it will be relisted for their upcoming auction, and Mr. Clevenhagen's information included.

This entire thread leaves me extremely confused. From the previous posts, one is led to believe that Dave O'Brien's glove is completely fake. Note, according to the posts, it was purchased off of Ebay as a game used glove, however, Victor at AMI would not include it in his auction, based upon glove expert Denny Eskin's opinion that it was not manufactured to Ripken's specifications, i.e, the interior lining was not correct. Dave indicated that he had since sent it to Clevenhagen, who confirmed it to be legit. After a second examination, Mr. Clevenhagen again has stated, in writing, that the glove is legit. No faults were noted.

It appears Dave O'Brien has done his homework, received written confirmation from Rawlings as to the authenticity, and is in receipt of a nice Ripken glove.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    As an update to my previous post on this subject......

It appears Dave O'Brien has done his homework, received written confirmation from Rawlings as to the authenticity, and is in receipt of a nice Ripken glove.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Howard - Thanks for the Post. That should define this glove in its worse case as "game issued" so congrats to Dave!

I for one still have doubts that Cal ever used it on the field of play due to the oil patterns, but the news is encouraging!

Andrew

If someone could provide me Mr. Clevenhagen's contact information privately, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

If you go to HA.com you can now view the Ripken Glove on auction which is LIVE online.

Here is the link:

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...8&Lot_No=19658

Opening Bid: $3,000 ($3,585.00 w/Buyer's Premium (BP) )

HA made this a Platinum item. The description is very strong with no mention of any of the caveats mentioned on the this thread although the Clevenhagen COA seems to 100% state this was a real Ripken glove.

The question is whether the photos of the outside and inside of the glove are consistent with a Ripken "game used" and whether anyone believes Ripken's own statements about his own inventory of his gloves and the "missing" glove.

Description:

1990's Cal Ripken, Jr. Game Used Fielder's Glove. For the serious game used equipment collector, the fielder's glove is considered the ultimate prize. That love affair is born of the great scarcity of available models, and the tremendously personal aspect of them. While jerseys, caps, bats and batting gloves come and go, fielder's gloves tend to see action day after day, month after month without end, much like the man who once guarded the six hole with this special Rawlings. So we are thrilled to have the opportunity to place upon the auction block one of the few Cal Ripken, Jr. game used fielder's gloves to enter the hobby. A letter from Bob Clevenhagen, Rawlings' lead glove designer, states succinctly, "Upon receiving this glove [for review], I find that it is a glove I made for Cal Ripken, Jr. in the 90's. When this glove was made, it was either shipped straight to the player or a Rawlings representative would have hand delivered it to the player." So make no mistake--this is no mere store model. The specifics of the "PRO-6HF" place this glove upon the left hand of this newest Hall of Famer and no one else. Ripken's name is embroidered upon the exterior thumb in black thread, with a 10/10 black sharpie signature from the man himself at the ten o'clock position. Nice use is evident, with Ripken's trademark oiled palm in clear effect.

While Ripken will be remembered in baseball history first for his Streak, and second for his bat, one must remember that Cal may well have been the greatest infielder to wear an Orioles uniform since Brooks Robinson. Ripken's two Gold Gloves in the intensely competitive shortstop position date to the early 1990's, a period in which this glove may have seen action. A truly special piece worthy of Cooperstown, and the finest of private collections. LOA from Bob Clevenhagen. LOA from Joe Phillips. LOA from PSA/DNA (autograph). LOA from James Spence Authentication (autograph).</B> Guide Value or Estimate: $6,000 - $8,000.

Banned

I'm still extremely confused.

When the glove was initially posted on this site, we learned that glove expert Denny Eskin did not give it a passsing grade, based upon the materials it was constructed with. Likewise, we were also led to believe that Bob Clevenger at Rawlings came to the same conclusion. Those familiar with game used gloves, and Ripken's equipment, voiced their concern, and indicated it would be removed from the Historic auction.

According to the current auction listing, not only did Clevenger indicate he made the glove for Ripken's use, he further notes that it was "shipped to Ripken or his rep". A letter from Clevenger is included, with an additional letter from glove expert Joe Phillips.

Can someone please explain what are we missing, here?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I received the Heritage catalog and I'm confused also. In a recent article didn't Ripken indicate he had all but two of his gloves, one of which was stolen. If the article was accurate and this is a Ripken glove which of the two missing ones is it supposed to be?

Guys i have a question, do you really think Cal kept track of every glove Rawlings ever made for him? Did Brinks drop them off for Cal and he signed for them? No chance Cal can keep track of this. I worked in a major league clubhouse for many years and players would get tons of stuff shipped to them. Equipement guys would open boxes and take whatever they wanted before a player even knew he had gloves shipped to them. I know Cal said only two gloves that he knows of are missing but think of all the stuff Cal never even knew he had. Its the nature of working in the clubhouse that you can get whatever you want. Im not saying i ever took anything............ but it definitely happens in every clubhouse. Trust me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carlevv View Post
    Guys i have a question, do you really think Cal kept track of every glove Rawlings ever made for him? Did Brinks drop them off for Cal and he signed for them? No chance Cal can keep track of this. I worked in a major league clubhouse for many years and players would get tons of stuff shipped to them. Equipement guys would open boxes and take whatever they wanted before a player even knew he had gloves shipped to them. I know Cal said only two gloves that he knows of are missing but think of all the stuff Cal never even knew he had. Its the nature of working in the clubhouse that you can get whatever you want. Im not saying i ever took anything............ but it definitely happens in every clubhouse. Trust me.

Carlevv-
    I echo your post! Well said an how true

The Rawlings "Guru" Mr. Clevenhagen himself has endorsed the glove, as well as glove expert Joe Phillips, however, the doubters continue to call this glove fake. Why?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Carlevv View Post
    ripken never said he has all but 2 of the gloves ever sent to him. he said he has all but 2 he ever used. i agree that he probably didn't keep track of all the stuff that was sent to him but the debate isn't whether this glove really was sent to him or not. it's whether he actually used it. a part of me thinks that while cal has no idea about all the stuff sent to him, he has a decent idea of the gloves he actually used.

i have no idea why esken rejected it but clevenhagen positively identified it.

rudy.