Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unhappy Wives

Re: Unhappy Wives

I often show her things that have appreciated in value over the years...

We treat it like a 401K...not really risky.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    I have a good thread going right now regarding the price of skyrocketing autographs, and it is getting nice response. Here is another topic:

UNHAPPY WIVES

We have all had them. Question is, how do we deal with them and our hobby. My wife has never been a problem with the few hundred dollar purchase here and there. Bat shaped boxes arriving on the door step always draws attention and irritation. A sure fire way to get a bad mood going. As some collector friends of mine know, in the past I have adopted a system to deceive that, while I am not proud of it, saves me from my wife's wrath. That system being using a bank check to pay for bats, jerseys, etc., and even going as far as sending the items to our business to disguise the transaction. Well, Bob just got caught. I did a 4 digit transaction on a Thome jersey a month ago and withdrew the amount from the account into a bank check. The idiots wrote it up that way on our bank statement!! I arrived home from jogging Friday night to a very angry and shaking wife who thought the bank had made a mistake. I had to fess up to several hours of not so fun argument. I could only say that I was not decieving as I would not be dumb enough to do this and have it appear on the statement and the seller did not know me and requested a bank check and yada yada yada...

Question here, what do you guys do. What stories are there? This was my first time at getting caught!!!
    I'm not sure where to start?So when you got home was she holding a Thome bat ready to swing?

Also Bob when you get a chance I still would like to see your MAC Jersey?

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

When I got home she was holding the bank statement trembling. She thought the bank screwed up. I had to come clean...

I have not forgot about you withthe pic...

any new stories guys?

The first time I bought a jersey my wife said "you paid how much? For a jersey?". Then I reminded her I paid "how much? For a little piece of metal with a rock on it?". That was the last of the questioning.

I always assure my wife that at least I'm not out buying crack and hotel rooms for cheap hookers. She knows right where the money is going. It is hard for her to see the investment idea of collecting, but one sure fire way to keep her off my back is to buy her a little something nice when something sells.

Another way to please the little lady is let her buy a little something special and just let it go. Instead of saying "wow, did you really need a 34th purse to go with your 60th pair of heels?" just suck it up and say "wow, that new purse will look great with those red heels you just got - especially when we go (to her favorite restaurant) on Friday night"...

Works for me.

Banned

My problem is a little different. My wife isn't privy to my purchases...but she hates seeing me on the computer. She will suddenly come up with chores that I HAVE to do, or HAVE to help her with, just to get me off the computer. Just now, as I was reading the previous posts on this thread, she decided, that, right at that juncture in time, the Christmas tree just HAD to be put away...soemthing she could have done herself, but dragged me in on because I looked too comfortable at the computer to satisfy her. I'm not sure how to slove this one...any suggestions?

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    My problem is a little different. My wife isn't privy to my purchases...but she hates seeing me on the computer. She will suddenly come up with chores that I HAVE to do, or HAVE to help her with, just to get me off the computer. Just now, as I was reading the previous posts on this thread, she decided, that, right at that juncture in time, the Christmas tree just HAD to be put away...soemthing she could have done herself, but dragged me in on because I looked too comfortable at the computer to satisfy her. I'm not sure how to slove this one...any suggestions?

Dave M.
    Chicago area

"solve" this one...we need a 3-minute edit feature!!

Dave M.

I make sure to have my own credit card, that the wife NEVER sees. I also make it a point to get tracking numbers, know when the deliveries are coming, and tip the doorman in my building to only give the packages to me, not the wife!!! Then I proceed to look around my bedroom for places to stash the good, like a squirrel in the winter!!!