Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Cal Ripken Fielders Glove Bought for a "Song" on eBay

Wow, thats crazy. When you say lining, do you mean the fur on the inside where the top of his hand goes?

No, the actual leather that lines the entire inside of the glove.

Rob

Why is anyone surprised by any of this?? Sounds like its time to ship this to Lou............

Here is a non-gamer on the new Morphy's auction.

Quote Originally Posted by ripkengamers View Post
    I only wish I could have spotted it first. Based upon my conversations with Denny Esken, it think this is the real deal! This could be a museum piece and would probably sell in a major auction house for 3x the $3k it sold for!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAL-RIPKEN-JR-8-...QQcmdZViewItem
    If you spoke to Denny Esken about this glove and he said it was OK,
    It is my understanding that the glove purchased on eBay by Dave O'Brien was recently rejected by Dennis Esken. Apparently the glove has the wrong lining...information that was confirmed with the Rawlings employee who actually made gloves for Cal Ripken, Jr. I'm not sure if Dave was able to get a refund on the glove from the eBay seller, but hopefully the glove isn't sold to another unsuspecting collector as a Ripken gamer.

Rob
    then which glove is Rob talking about that Esken is saying "NO" about????

I think Dan is referring to conversations he had with Denny in the past about Ripken gloves in general...the information from which led him to believe the glove Dave purchased on eBay was good. I don't think Dan had a specific conversation with Denny about the glove Dave O'Brien purchased. Before Denny saw what kind of lining the Ripken glove had, he did not comment (even to me) on whether the glove was good or bad.

Perhaps Dan can confirm this theory.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    Dave,

I was told that the lining of the glove is made of the wrong material, as was confirmed by both Denny Esken and the Rawlings employee who made Ripken's gloves. You might want to check with Victor at AMI, as I believe the glove was in his possession when Denny Esken shared this information with him last week.

Rob
    Wow. This glove travels fast. Sold the first week of May to Dave O'Brien and the following week in the hands of Victor at AMI

Hi Rob,

This is news to me, and certainly not good news. I haven't heard anything back one way or the other yet but was waiting to hear. So far I have only compared it to photos of another forum member's glove and everything seems to match up. Who provided this info to you? What exactly was the problem?

Thanks,
    Dave
    and Victor hasn't called Dave who provides complimentary editing services to AMI with a heads up that there are issues with the glove, but Rob knows because he spoke to.........
    ironmanfan

Why is anyone surprised by any of this?? Sounds like its time to ship this to Lou............Today 06:02 PM
    Ironmanfan has a great suggestion for Dave O'Brien to get that 2nd opinion.....Andrew

Perhaps Ironmanfan or another person knowlegeable about this could post a response. How many game used gloves do you think actually exist from Cal's playing days? On average or perhaps specifically if anyone knows, how many gloves would Cal have used in a given season 1, 2? Any ideas at all? Given the fact that you never see these in circulation but once in a blue moon and the ones that you do see seem questionable, I would venture to say that we are easily looking at less than 50 total gloves in a 21 year career. If anyone could shed light on this it would be helpful.

Thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

I once saw a glove in Cal's locker that had hand written years on it. I believe it read 95, 96, 97. Well it was for sure in 95 so it actually could have read 93, 94, 95 as well but you catch my drift. Cal actually labeled the glove for the years he used it. Has anyone here seen that glove? Thats gotta be the coolest glove IMO that Cal would have ever used. Also, at one point he did stop using that same glove but not sure when he stopped. It wasnt long after i saw it because i would have saw more years on it. As far as how many gloves Cal used in his 21 years? I would'nt have a clue on a number but whatever that number is its not getting any bigger. His gloves are tough to find, at least legit ones im finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    I think Dan is referring to conversations he had with Denny in the past about Ripken gloves in general...the information from which led him to believe the glove Dave purchased on eBay was good. I don't think Dan had a specific conversation with Denny about the glove Dave O'Brien purchased. Before Denny saw what kind of lining the Ripken glove had, he did not comment (even to me) on whether the glove was good or bad.

Perhaps Dan can confirm this theory.

Rob
    Rob,
    You are correct. I did not speak to Denny relative to Dave's glove. I was speaking in regards to a past conversation I had with Denny regarding Cal's gloves. I trust and highly regard Denny's opinions and I'm surprise that he said Dave's glove is not legit although I only saw the photos everyone else saw on eBay. The general overall fading of the leather and heavily oiled palm are indeed traits of Cal's gamers. Cal only oiled the palms of his gloves and most quality GU gloves are faded from the sun. I'm curious to hear exactly what about the inside leather that Denny was objecting to. If anyone finds out more please post in the forum. Hopefully Dave can provide the details.
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)