Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

ESPN OUTSIDE THE LINES-McGWIRE

Forum Readers-

Back in May, I was contacted by a Producer from the ESPN series Outside the Lines. I was informed by him that the Cardinals had a life size statue of McGwire cast back in 2001, and had planned to add it to the other statues outside the ballpark once he was enshrined into the Hall of Fame in 2007. Jump ahead to today-according to the producer, the statue has been stashed away in some warehouse in St. Louis, and is covered with an old tarp. The Cardinals deny it was ever made, and the chances of it ever seeing the light of day are slim.

The Producer wanted to know, from a fan and collectors standpoint, what is the "mood" surrounding McGwire? Are fans soured? Collectors still buying his items? Specifically, he was aware of my game used McGwire equipment collection, and wanted to get my thoughts.

I agreed to be part of the upcoming episode, and as such, was interviewed at my home and allowed these folks to shoot my collection. Although the majority of the episode will focus on the statue, it's my understanding that the shots of the McGwire jerseys, bats and equipment will be used throughout the piece (we also took a nice shot of my game worn Ripken, Gwynn and McGwire shirts hanging together). Likewise, I understand that I'll have my 15 seconds of fame, too!

I was just informed that the show may air this Sunday @ 9:30 A.M. ET. If it changes time/day, I'll update this site with the new information. Additional info. on this segment can be seen at: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

FYI

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Re: ESPN OUTSIDE THE LINES-McGWIRE

Howard:

Glad to hear its finally getting aired. I can't wait to see it. The true fans like you and me will never sour on the man. I'm as loyal as can be and don't turn my back on people I look up too or my friends. I still collect his memorabilia and always will. Its fine with me if the market for his things is going down, just means its cheaper to aquire!

Aaron

Aaron

So are you saying that yourself and HW are the only True fans? Can you help me understand your comment

Howard

Glad its going to air finally and can't wait to see your stuff.Also check your email cause I never got a response from you.

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Congrats Howard on the interview. Can't wait to see it.

What Ripken did in 1995 for baseball (post-strike) and what McGwire/Sosa did in 1998 were amazing milestones that brought in new fans, brought out the "closet" baseball fans, and returned disgruntled fans. Baseball and its partners had a gigantic windfall from all these major milestones.

For a country that was founded on the beliefs of innocent until proven guilty, I find it a shame that Big Mac has been cursed by so many today that cheered him in 1998.

Not to blame the media, but come on. What has really changed from 1998 to today except the dirty little whispers are now out in the open and it is so easy to call someone's accomplishments "tainted" as the media has done so often recently.

Performance enhancers were used by Russian athletes back in the 1960's so it isn't like these were just discovered.

I believe Mark said in August 1998 that he used Androstenedione and Creatine which were sold legally in many nutrition stores at the time and Andro was legal in the Olympics until the end of 1997. Why wasn't there a backlash in 1998 when this information became public.

Does anyone have any concrete proof of McGwire doing anything illegal that can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt or is all the proof anyone needs in Canseco's book?

Keep in mind that McGwire shattered the Rookie HR record at 49 HRs in a season as a skinny kid which in itself is an unbelievable record when put in perspective.

His power from the right side of the plate is second to none.

I think McGwire had a public relations meltdown in 2005 when he testified in front of Congress. I would love to know if he would say anything different today, but saying nothing doesn't make you guilty.

Hopefully the Hall of Fame voters get it right and the Cardinals honor a man for his accomplishments in his era.

Andrew

Banned

Carlie:

Didn't mean to leave you out in the cold, I forgot about you being a fan as well. I knew there was one or two others who were true fans, but forgot who they were.

Aaron

Banned

I was just informed that the story will indeed air tomorrow morning 7/8/07 at 9:30 AM ET.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I can't wait to see it. Congrats on getting your collection on National television. I "dream" of such an honor someday!
    Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    I was just informed that the story will indeed air tomorrow morning 7/8/07 at 9:30 AM ET.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    I can't wait to see it. Congrats on getting your collection on National television. I "dream" of such an honor someday!

Howard,

Did i see some tears? I was moved!! j/k...

congrats! you'll remember that forever....

can i have your autograph?...on an ESPN-used show item?

I'm sitting here working off a hangover by watching Outside the Lines and I see them holding up a McGwire gamer and referencing Howard Wolf. I haven't been on here in a couple days and had no idea. You did a great job, Howard (even though our opinions on Mac are completely different). Too bad they didn't show the display with the Ripken and the Gwynn. But there was a nice picture of your bat collection. Good job man.

Howard -

Could not find it at 9:30 am. Will it be reaired?

Bob