Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Alex Rodriguez "gamer" fielding glove ??

I was told that if you sell something to Play it Again Sports you have to produce identification. If thats the case and the person whole had stolen the gloves was the one selling them why would he give his ID? This might be a person who had NO IDEA what he was getting him or herself into. Im not aware of Denny Eskin because ive never dealt with an authenticator but if he said these were game gloves he was correct. If he said these gloves were worn by AROD he's been mistaken. Listen, i respect the job of someone like Denny but at the end of the day the only real proof of if you have a "real game used item by the player himself" is for the player to give it to you in person or to photomatch it. The memorabilia buisiness is so shady to begin with and this story could identify with that.

Guys,

Here's a very simple question (CarleVV, maybe you can answer this): Does *Play It Again Sports* have cameras? This is something that I've wondered from the beginning (it seems like there are cameras everywhere you go any more) because I have been curious as to who sold the gloves to PIAS in the first place. With this new information, though, I imagine any footage of the transactions would be helpful to the police.

You have to feel bad for the eBay buyer - he'll be sick to his stomach when he hears this. Hopefully, he'll be able to get his money back.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I am responding to this as it was emailed to me from one of the many friends I made while selling these gloves.

These are the facts about these gloves, the Los Angeles Police Department was contacted as was the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department before the gloves went up on auction, they were given all pertinent information regarding the gloves and there were no "hits" on the gloves being stolen property.

As you can research in one of my first posts, I alluded to the fact I believe they might have been "stolen from a collection". I find it hard to believe that the gloves, if stolen, lasted 9 days on ebay without so much as a hit from the police, the Yankees, the bullpen catcher, his family or friends, this auction attracted worldwide attention, I was getting emails from Japan about these gloves

In retrospect, I can only speculate about the authenticity of these newest claims, I could only assume that the Yankees Clubhouse would know about the theft, I would assume that Alex would know about the theft and for the bullpen catcher to not tell anyone in the Yankees organization about this theft seems very odd to me. I did what I consider to be very thorough investigating including talking to other clubhouses and their management. I would hope that because this has now been started, the person who is alleging this will now make public the name of the player who is stating that the bullpen catcher had gloves stolen.

Let's not forget that this story became quite public in the second largest newspaper in the Southern California area and there WERE NO requests for information from the police department after the story was published. I am relatively easy to find in the LA area and I am positive that the LAPD could have found me through the author of the article. This story was circulating the Yankees clubhouse and if you think for a minute that it didn't get back to the players and coaches as well as the bullpen catcher, whom I personally placed a call to after I had heard the inital rumor, he obviously didn't feel it was important enough to return a phone call about this matter.

The USC does not have a police daprtment and all crimes on campus property are investigated by LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department). I have contacted the correct station this morning with these claims and while no one knew anything of the theft at this early stage, I am awaiting a phone call from the detectives who handle this and after speaking with them, hopefully we can put this to rest, and I really hope that is the case.

I have a call into the proper channels at USC, people that would have known if something was stolen from a car at USC and most certainly who would have allowed someone to be on the field at USC, it is not a open facility and permission to be on the field would have to be issued. I can only think that if this truly happened, it would have been between the end of the season and the beginning of Spring Training.

I must add that I find it incredibly irresponsible to post "purported" or "specualtive" claims on this or any board. I would hope that unless you are prepared to reveal ANY and ALL sources, it would be best to find another way to source your claims. I am leaving my cell phone of 805-732-3931 for anyone who wishes to contact me regarding this. I am always available to speak to and have a significant list of people that I had spoken to in my quest to find out where these gloves had came from.

While these gloves still stand by their original story, until SOMEONE, not a ghost or someone hiding behind someone else's claims, comes forth with PROOF, and I would consider the only proof to now be a police report, as it has been alluded to the fact there is an investigation, is presented, then these claims are nothing other than rumor and innuendo, should they prove to be true, then another story opens, but until then, they are nothing other then ghost stories and should be given no afterthought or relevance.

At 11:00am this morning I am expecting a very important phone call that will either end or lend credence to these allegations, I will post immediately upon completion of the phone call.

Thanks for listening,

Mark Webb

Mark,

Very reasonable. Clearly, there are still some unanswered questions. Thanks for continuing to be active in this dialogue. No matter how it turns out, as a bystander I must say that it has been a captivating story.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Hello again,

I have just hung up the phone with the store (Play it Again Sports) in which the gloves were purchased from and they have not been contacted by the police in any investigation about these baseball gloves.

The previous post about "police investigating who sold the gloves to the store" should be considered false and misinformation. This does not rule out as to whether or not the gloves were stolen from a car at USC, but I am working on dispelling this rumor or fact as well. A call was placed to the store about this a few weeks ago but I can imagine the call was placed by someone wishing to spread the rumor and not to substantiate it.

I have contacted the buyer this morning to inform him of the situation and he did not seem very worried. Him and I will speak again this evening and I can relay further information obtained.

As to posting this kind of information without revealing sources that you are willing to identify is as irresponsible as it can be. To attack a persons reputation either directly or indirectly as you have done is a really heinous thing to do. I want to make sure right now that Denny Esken had no part in any misrepresentation of these gloves, Denny revealed what he knew to be factual and even relayed that the gloves were probably lifted somewhere along the line, but at my insistence, he got innocently involved. I send my apologies to Denny and anyone who used his name in these posts should relook at what you wrote and make sure that in no way you have villified him for anything.

You have spread skepticism and uncertainty in a industry that is wrought with it. For what ?, to be the person who MIGHT have some information but is unable to reveal how this information came to light? If you were the person who provided the police report and put us in touch with the rightful owner and took the steps to make sure that the gloves were reunited with their proper owner and arrest and/or convict the person who might have stolen the gloves, you would have a much better argument.

You seem more interested in assuring the collecting community that the gloves are not "game used" therefore discrediting a innocent seller and a more innocent buyer. Who, if anyone, are you really looking out for ?

Any comments or questions, feel free to contact me,

Mark

I have to argee with Mark. He has done everything to get the info about these gloves out there. Contacted the Yankees, Police, Newspaper, etc. to ensure there we no issues with these gloves.

Although this story is unbelieveable and many of us still have questions, how, who, when and where, until someone can come up with factual information and proof about these gloves, other than what we already know, this should end as is.

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I have to argee with Mark. He has done everything to get the info about these gloves out there. Contacted the Yankees, Police, Newspaper, etc. to ensure there we no issues with these gloves.

Although this story is unbelieveable and many of us still have questions, how, who, when and where, until someone can come up with factual information and proof about these gloves, other than what we already know, this should end as is.
    Tony,

I agree, although I think Mark is right that CarleVV should back up his statements. The statements may put Mark and the eBay buyer in a bad position and Mark and the eBay buyer have a right to know how CarleVV obtained his information and from whom this information came. This is a reasonable request on Mark's part, I believe. I'm not taking sides here and I truly don't know what to believe at this point ... but fair is fair and if you are going to make statements of fact (whether they be true or false) that may damage another party's reputation (in this case, Mark's reputation), then you should back them up accordingly.

Reid

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Tony,

I agree, although I think Mark is right that CarleVV should back up his statements. The statements may put Mark and the eBay buyer in a bad position and Mark and the eBay buyer have a right to know how CarleVV obtained his information and from whom this information came. This is a reasonable request on Mark's part, I believe. I'm not taking sides here and I truly don't know what to believe at this point ... but fair is fair and if you are going to make statements of fact (whether they be true or false) that may damage another party's reputation (in this case, Mark's reputation), then you should back them up accordingly.

Reid
    Reid,

I agree with you 100%. CarleVV should back up his most recent comments. Before, he would indicate his theory or his thoughts. Now, he has made direct and provided so called factual and very detailed info about these gloves, that I do believe he should either back it up right now or apologize for his most recent comments.

Alot of damage could be done for these statements. Many in the hobby won't touch those gloves in the future, if the seller decides to sell them, based on this type info.

Wish all the best.

Talked to the bullpen catcher today and he confirmed the story. However, he said the gloves were stolen out of his car while it was at his house. He got to USC and noticed his equipement bag was missing. He called PIAS after seeing this story and said they were his gloves and they were stolen. PIAS said they took his info but they dont release info on thier sellers. I dont have to make stories up or try to disscredit anyone here. Those claims really bother me. All i like to do is inform this forum of info they might not usually get by being the average collector. I dont need to make these gloves out to be not game used by AROD. Listen, they arent signed for one. For two if AROD said he wasnt missing any gloves how is this "gamer" on the market? THESE THINGS DONT HAPPEN. Thats besides the point though. Mike Borzello the Yankee bullpen catcher said the police are working on this as we speak. Ill keep you posted.

Carlevv,

For the record, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I was a bidder on a couple of the gloves and have have had interest from the very beginning (as is easily evidenced by my early posts in the relevant threads on GUF). As such, I'm interested in the story that has unfolded. Still, it is a policy of GUF that posters need to back up their assertions of fact, particularly when they may harm others in some way (e.g., reputation, financial, etc.). That is all.

I look forward to reading future posts as this story continues to unfold.

Best,
    Reid