Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Interesting Early Boys Team

couple of interesting things in this pic- the size is a little unusual (5x5) but all the kids seem to be wearing matching knickers and shoes making me think this is more than just a sandlot game. any guesses as to period. my initial thought was 1880's

Re: Interesting Early Boys Team

Hey Jamie, I was the underbidder on that photo...nice price

I think the photo is circa 1900s based on the photo mount and it appears to be Silver Gelatin and not albumin - I don't think the boys are dressed in baseball uniforms, but rather school uniforms as you can see some are wearing ties. It's a great photo and I would have gone higher but I didn't like the writing on the front.

its definitely an albumen and not silver gelatin. good call on the school uniform- i hadnt even thought of that.

i was shocked at the final sell price- always great to pick up an early photo for $2
    [
    quote=slidekellyslide;35392]Hey Jamie, I was the underbidder on that photo...nice price

I think the photo is circa 1900s based on the photo mount and it appears to be Silver Gelatin and not albumin - I don't think the boys are dressed in baseball uniforms, but rather school uniforms as you can see some are wearing ties. It's a great photo and I would have gone higher but I didn't like the writing on the front.[/quote]

A closer guess may be c1895 as I have seen some mounts like this from the 1890s - and as you say it's an albumin print. The bat one boy is holding appears to be a ring bat from around that period too.