Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Vintage Catchers Mask - authentic?

Hi Guys,

I'me new to this forum and was referred here by the guys at Vintage Baseball Card Forum. I've been collecting tobaaco cards for years and am moving into select vintage baseball memorabilia for my game room downstairs. I have a basic understanding of what I'm doing, but haven't found any reference guides for getting an estimated value of certain items - bats, balls, uniforms, catchers equipment etc....does anything like this exist?

Also, I'm interested in know how old the mask below is and what it's approx. value might be. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Vintage Catchers Mask - authentic?

It looks very nice and probably dates from the teens. Value on masks varies wildly. Without knowing the brand, or type of connections where wires meet I would value it at $200 or more. When I say more, that mask could go for $300 in the right auction. Dave Bushing has written the only comprehensive value guide on equipment, but the prices are dated I'm affraid. Still, it's an essential resource you should purchase if you are going to buy much gear.

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Equipme...4350131&sr=1-1

Also purchase the player model glove and bat guides from Joe Phillips at:

The Glove Collector (the link is down right now, but they are in business)

Dave- That is a gorgeous example of a turn of the century mask – condition appears to be EX+. They don't come much nicer than that. (although the back strap may not be original)

I agree with Mike on the price, but given the condition I would say it could go even a little higher – But I would say earlier than the teens. I would date it to c. 1890 – 1910 based on the small pads that appear wired to the mask, flat chin and head straps, hooked and/or “+” joints, and the overall elongated shape that protrudes out.

-Joe
    http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

Thanks for your help guys - I had heard about Dave Bushings book, but couldn't find it on Amazon. Thanks for the link - I just submitted my order.

The mask is nice - seller says it dates to the 1880's - 1890's. The cage isn't welded - the bars are wrapped around one another which apparently means it's pre-1900. This is whiy I need the guide...........

I'm so surprised that someone hasn't published a more recent catalog of vintage baseball equipment given the enormous interest in collecting these days.