Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Jersey storage in plastic bags

I’m sure this has been brought up before but wanted opinions on storing my game worn jerseys in plastic ziplock bags. Recently picked up some shirts from the Goldin auction and they were sent to me in bags. What are the pros and cons of storing them this way. I have my jerseys on hangers in the closet.

I like plastic bags to prevent smoke and staining (due to moisture or water)... I dont think the plastic breaks down to wreck anything either...

i think the only problem with long term storage in plastic bags is that the folds will crease the jersey and can be very difficult to get out. i use padded hangers and then keep them covered in dry cleaning plastic bags. no folds and stays protected.

Padded hangers with plastic cover like what you get from the dry cleaners is what I do. I have had jerseys stored this way for years without issue. But if your are trying to conserve space, a large ziplock would be a decent alternative. I personally have not stored any jerseys as folded, but I have used large ziplocks for shipping.

I have my jerseys on velvet hangers and in plastic suit holders. Might have to look into nice ones. I have multiple jerseys in each slip.

Post a link to where you guys get your hanging dry cleaning type bags
    thanks

Hey Ken. The reason I started this thread is because of the jerseys I won on your last auction. The jerseys were shipped In plastic bags and I thought this might be a great way to store my collection. I thought if you guys send these ultra valuable shirts in bags then it must be safe, would like to hear your feedback on the topic.

I use Bumps Be-gone XL hangers. I have found that these are the best for jerseys as they are more rounded so they don't leave creases over timed and you can adjust both sides. I actually use them for my clothes too. Then I keep them covered in the plastic bags from the cleaners. I just go down to the local cleaners and they always give me a bunch of them.
    Gary
    gashlockusmc@yahoo.com

Always looking for Atlanta Braves & St Louis Blues game used stuff, old and current stars

i get my dry cleaning bags on ebay - you can find them in bulk for very reasonable prices. be sure to check the length of the bag before buying - i didnt think about that the first time and accidentally purchased 200 bags that were way too long and were really made for dresses. still does the job perfect, just a lot of extra plastic hanging at the bottom. i ship in regular plastic bags all the time, as the jerseys are only kept folded for a relatively short period of time.