Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    That’s all she wrote, Good luck to all in the auction

[QUOTE=gorilla777;411864]Let's just make dougiedshow a winner before every contest and do away

. Maybe next auction they could do the contest for the people that have been with Goldin since he started his auctions for the loyal customers. Give us people that have been there since day one that never win this contest another chance at winning.

The Doug comment I didn’t understand .
    He didn’t hit last time and is one of the very few people who bid a lot at the 100 and 200 level
    One person who wins often in these contests literally bids on like 300 different items during the contest, and that’s why he wins often.
    in any event, I can look to implant something for next time that eliminates repeat winners.

I guess I play the game wrong. I just bid on items I would like to win. Not put in 300 bids with no intention of wanting any of them just to jack the prices up to see if I can win money. Part of the fun of bidding in an auction is actually bidding and trying to win in the auction but there have been many times where I've got on to bid in the final day or so of the auction and the prices are already to high because of the contest bids 2 weeks before where the value of the item was maxed out the night of the contest so was no reason to bid.

If you were to look back at all of the past winners, you'll see that there's about 5 people who have won more than 8 times. I do see where you are coming from. Some ppl think its rigged based off of how much someone spends or consigns to the auction house. Who knows. That being said, there is a strategic way of going about it. Knowing the market for each item, knowing when to bid during the contest, etc all comes into play. Just like anything...

The people who win often are strategic.
    Someone who has one more then anyone else has never co-signed to the auction and never had an invoice over $2000 either, so there goes that comment.
    That being said, 3 of the 6 winners had never won before. I started this as a fun thing to promote the auction , as well as get activity on GUU. I will implement a repeat winner rule for next auction, but to be honest if this is a point of consternation for some of the participants then perhaps there just won’t be a contest in the future.

Hey Ken, Sorry for my venting on the contest. I think you should leave it like it is. It's a good contest and definitly draws people to GUU on that Sunday evening. I enjoy your auctions and have both consigned and won in them. Anyway sorry for my words if they sounded harsh. Didn't mean it that way. One of these times I'll hit the winning number. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Because I collect a large variety of items and I also like to resell items... I'm comfortable bidding on a large # of items on the first night. I very rarely win an item for a bid I place on the first night, but I don't place bids I'm not willing to fulfill. Placing a bid insures that I have a bid in on the item and can make a run at it in extended bidding. My other strategy is to place multiple bids on items I really want. I place initial bids and then additional max bids. This allows me to place multiple bids quickly. I watch recently placed bids (sort by most recent bid) and start bidding when I feel a mile marker is near. Then I start hammering items I am interested in. In this auction I bid on 36 items, I believe, prior to Ken telling me I was #200. (With many multiple bids on those 36 items.) So, in reality, I probably placed 50-60 of the bids within the first 200 overall bids. Yes, if you do that consistently, you win the contest. I feel a lot of bidders wait until the higher payouts. I just start at the beginning and keep trying.
    As a side note, Ken often contacts me to find out a GUU member's name, so I know there have been lots of new winners in seemingly every auction.
    Last edited by dougiedshow; 09-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.