Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Pete Rose Game Used Jersey

Pete Rose Game used Jersey...wondering if it's authentic

From 1983 playoffs I believe?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned
    This jersey, as well as Phillies shirts of Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton, were the work of a now-deceased business friend of Rose's named Whitey Willenberg. Whitey was a regular on the card show circuit in the 1980s and '90s, and usually had items like this at his table, He sold jerseys like this as game-used, but they were not.

While I believe that the autographs on his jerseys were likely legit, his "game used" Phillies exhibited tagging issues that were inconsistent with genuine Phillies gamers. Both the NIC and year/set strip tag in the tail used a font that was not consistent with known authentic and team-issued Phillies unis. Also, in most cases, the Wilson label in the tail uses a zig-zag stitching pattern to be affixed to the jersey, whereas ALL Wilson-made MLB gamers in that era employed a straight stitch pattern.

The item could be considered an autographed Rose jersey, but any claims of belonging to the Phillies and/or being game used are false.

Dave Miedema

I was going to say the same thing Dave
    I remember Whitey from the late 1980s. Luckily for the hobby, Score Board pretty much put him out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    I was going to say the same thing Dave
    I remember Whitey from the late 1980s. Luckily for the hobby, Score Board pretty much put him out of business.

Thank you for the info! Greatly appreciated! Ya, this hobby can be cruel sometimes...

Yeah its quite good and authentic too,