Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Anything new with this? I have had trouble logging in, trouble posting and was not able to post photos either...
    Yes I wish this site would return to the way it was. Will we ever see it like that again?

-Walt

Triple92459

Yea this site is outdated and boring anymore. It needs to be taken over by someone who has the time and cares to get it back to where it was or update it so it's better. Even the advertising, let others companies and auction houses advertise instead of Goldins ads and auction as the only one. Go to net54 and see how popular that is over there.Wake up GUU.

We care and will get the server functioning properly

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Anything new with this? I have had trouble logging in, trouble posting and was not able to post photos either...
    gorila

gorilla I do miss seeing your museum quality stuff
    Gary
    gashlockusmc@yahoo.com

Always looking for Atlanta Braves & St Louis Blues game used stuff, old and current stars

Super Moderator
    As an administrator for guu, I understand everyone’s concerns about the future of the forum. It’s an amazing community and a great resource. With nearly 13 years of posts and information, the forum has also become a living encyclopedia for hobby reasearch.
    The last year has been very challenging from a technology standpoint. This has nothing to do with the change in ownership. The issue stemmed from the now archaic programming and platform originally used for the site. That platform became obsolete and we risked losing all historical data. In an effort to salvage the current data and format, we switched platforms. Obviously we are going through some continued technical challenges, all of which we hope to resolve soon.
    In the end, we want to accomplish 2 things. 1) retain the history and invaluable research data of the last 13 years. And 2) develop a user friendly format (or multiple platforms) that will be relevant for the next decade. Ken Goldin has put me in touch with his technical support team and, as a hobbyist myself, I am trying to relay all of the concerns. I am also planning a trip to NJ to meet with Ken and his team to discuss our options.
    Speaking of Ken, he takes a lot of blame on the forum and it’s really misguided. If anyone recalls, the site was inactive in 2013, crashed and was unattended. No new users were able to register, and no one could
    Post.
    Ken stepped in and purchased ownership in the site, saving it at the time. Believe it or not, due to the robust size of the database and the format that was being used, the forum is not inexpensive to keep online. There are not only monthly server fees, but also a tech team gets a high hourly rate to be on call and handle all issues. A free forum, surviving to this point, has only been made possible by Ken. Frankly, biting the only hand that feeds us, isn’t going to help.
    Not to mention the fact that Ken runs an awesome contest for all of us and frankly asks for very little advertising in return. One banner ad at the top of the page is not crippling the site, in my opinion. I still greatly enjoy the ability to interact my friends and fellow collectors, while researching over a decade of data. I also do not think the fact that blowout cards owns blow out forums stops activity or people from posting there, for example. Ken, as an owner, posts very little intrusive content, in my opinion.
    Does the site need repaired? Absolutely. Do we need up to date functionality? Absolutely. Unfortunately, it’s a free site, which does not generate revenue needed to quickly resolve these issues. We have some financial resources available to address the issues, due to Ken’s original investment and continued contributions. My hope is that those resources will allow us to accomplish the 2 goals stated above.
    If you have suggestions or feel you can assist in any way, please email me directly. Dougiedshow@aol.com Thank you!

Doug Reiser

You have people who've shared there suggestions and their opinions on certain aspects of this site and unfortunately you guys take it as "Biting the hand that feeds us" when that's totally not the intent. In turn those posts are deleted when they should remain open for discussion.
    I hope I'm wrong but in my opinion so many of the members here have found alternate options and this site has gone so far south that I'm not sure it will ever recover.
    I wish you the best and I hope you guys do "make it great again".

Quote Originally Posted by dougiedshow View Post
    Believe it or not, due to the robust size of the database and the format that was being used, the forum is not inexpensive to keep online. There are not only monthly server fees, but also a tech team gets a high hourly rate to be on call and handle all issues.
    There are some really great hosts that offer very affordable cost for high traffic sites. I myself host 15+ domains a couple of them being smaller forums and at one time, a forum larger than this one. I pay $9.99/month for unlimited bandwidth/MySQL disk usage and total disk usage. If you're paying much more than that, it's time to look for a new host.
    - Jason