Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Frank Thomas LVS P72, Really?

Following is the link to the MEARS auction (now closed) for this black Frank Thomas LVS P72 bat that I believe is a promotional bat.

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...ntoryid=118448

Please note in the description that it states "Bat receives 5 points for matching player records." I emailed Troy to request the detail regarding the match to Frank's records and this is the response that I received:

"We do not have complete factory records for Frank Thomas. I made our assessment based on known store model Frank Thomas bats and player traits."

Maybe this really is game used, but I would like to see it confirmed by Brian as too many authenticators are misleading collectors with inaccurate statements in their LOA/COAs.

I have only EVER seen an LVS in Frank's hands 3 times: someone else's blonde LVS from 90/91, the blonde block letter THOMAS from 91, and the gwynn finish FRANK THOMAS from 95. Can anyone find any proof of him using a black P72?

Banned
    I can't answer the bat model number question, but the idea of Frank Thomas equipment oddities is more than just talk.

I don't know about bats, but in 1993-94, when the White Sox were among the elite teams in MLB, the team issued numerous jerseys and 1B gloves for fundraisers and charity auctions that were never issued to Thomas, often autographed, however. The jerseys were discernible based on tagging, and the mitts were among items the Operation Bullpen forgers doctored to make them look game used, as one of the crooks worked in security for the Sox at the time.

While I can't unequivocally say either way about this specific bat, it's not something to be readily dismissed, either.

Dave Miedema

I actually have 2 LS bats of Frank. 1 is a T158 and the other is a C271. The T158 is from ‘96

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    I actually have 2 LS bats of Frank. 1 is a T158 and the other is a C271. The T158 is from ‘96
    I am assuming the T158 is a Gwynn finish. What finish is the C271?

It is. I'll have to check on the C271

The Thomas bat was good; it is a bat specific to 1994 MVP Season

Ben