Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Question Questionable formal "photo-match" - NBA jersey

I was just looking through the preview for the upcoming Grey Flannel summer auction and came across the following jersey (Steve Nash - Phoenix Suns Christmas Day) which is stated as being photo-matched by www.photo-match.com.

The auction includes an image to the purported photo-match and, to be completely honest, the supporting images seem to go closer to disproving a match above all else. In looking at the image below, the gap in the top of the "U" in "SUNS" appears far larger on the in-game photo than on the jersey up for auction (a crease in the in game photo that suggests that the space may be even wider!). Weirdly, this is being circled/highlighted as a focal point in illustrating the photo-match.

https://greyflannelauctions.com/Item...39551g_lg.jpeg

For a jersey without any paperwork (especially for a "marquee event' jersey worn only for a single game) you'd think a solid photo-match would be straightforward but to me this looks more likely to be a back-up than the game used jersey.

What do others think? Am I overthinking this or does this photo-match look somewhat dubious?

It's Grey Flannel what else would you expect. I mean there is numerous threads about them and their practices. Bidder beware.

Not necessarily GF related as I know nothing of NBA jerseys, but I suspect you'll see more and more loose photo matches advertised as such since the hobby has shifted away from mostly LOA/trust the "expert" based selling to photo matched based selling. I suspect you'll also see loose threads, stitching that matches up to a photo but other aspects of the jersey do not as photo matching becomes a much bigger selling point to people who aren't on forums, spend a lot of money and trust the auction houses to do all the research.

...and just like that the photo that was at the URL I shared has been changed and the item has completely disappeared from the auction. I'd suggest probably not a coincidence.

In some ways I'm pleased because it hopefully means nobody overpays for a jersey thinking it's game-worn. I still can't comprehend why photo-match.com would claim it a match in the first place though with (relatively speaking) such little upside for a Nash gamer? They state that "Every item submitted will be looked at by a minimum of three panel experts." but based on the image that was highlighting the photo match on the auction listing, there was either no rigor or downright negligence on behalf of whichever 3 people reviewed the jersey (which does still appear on the photo-match.com website).

Definitely a buyer beware scenerio as you mention... A sloppy photo-match definitely seems to be the new LOA

That is what i am saying. There is a reason the Basketball Hall Of Fame dropped Gray Flannel from doing their auctions. Honestly i never have seen a jersey presented to GF that they rejected unless it was completely obvious.

It is just super duper important to spend the time and do your own research.

I also want to add that it is pretty sad that customers have to point out these things to the "experts". You rarely see this kind of thing with Goldin Auctions as i beleive they take their time doing research and have a real good group of authenticators.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    I also want to add that it is pretty sad that customers have to point out these things to the "experts". You rarely see this kind of thing with Goldin Auctions as i beleive they take their time doing research and have a real good group of authenticators.
    what even makes someone an "expert"? if you call yourself an expert, you probably arent. boast about your experience and let someone else call you an expert.

For reference if people are interested, this is the alleged photo-match below: