Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

How to do a High Quality Photomatch?

I have a MLB subscription and I review online pictures such as Getty Images. However, I still struggle with getting good photo matching on a jersey based on loose threads or stitching errors. Is there any type of software I could buy or other techniques to amplify the images when I zoom in on the threads?

Re: How to do a High Quality Photomatch?

Sometimes it’s just purely luck. I haven’t had much luck doing jersey matches from mlbtv. I’ve been able to match a few via Getty.

Sometimes it’s just purely luck. I haven’t had much luck doing jersey matches from mlbtv. I’ve been able to match a few via Getty.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigballs View Post
    I have a MLB subscription and I review online pictures such as Getty Images. However, I still struggle with getting good photo matching on a jersey based on loose threads or stitching errors. Is there any type of software I could buy or other techniques to amplify the images when I zoom in on the threads?
    Typically when the public photomatches a jersey off getty, they are using the one with the watermark. This image is about 1/9th of the original image. To get this original image, you need to pay a couple hundred dollar or have access that those other photomatch/meigray have. There's no way to enhance the image, it's just a matter of getting a higher quality image. You can fiddle around with setting in photoshop to enhance some colors or shades.

A couple hundred per image? Or a couple hundred in total to access the 9/9 quality for all images on Getty?

Often times I have had luck doing a quick reference check with Getty Sports Images, AP Sports Images or USA Today Sports Images. Then I look for that image or similar ones on the net. Depending on the player you can often scour the net for images if you search the players name and opponent and year. I tend to get lucky and find a hi res image of the player on the date in question on a sports news article photo gallery or team photo gallery. A lot of the online news pages for the games have photo galleries and non-watermarked Getty images on their site as part of their licensing agreement. This mostly applies to more recent images, the hi res part. As you get further back in date the image resolution is often fairly poor.

I usully only match NFL jerseys which are obviously way easier to do than MLB jerseys. Good luck and just do every search you can for the dates and player in question—you can really get lucky with a hi quality image available for free. Or fork over the dough and pay for one you are certain is it.

Ryan

Banned

Lightbulb Re: How to do a High Quality Photomatch?

Regarding Getty Images: while they have a lot of great photos, dating them can sometimes be frustrating. For the last 25 or so years' worth of photos, they are very well documented, but, the further you go back in time, the less definitive and less reliable the dating of some photos gets. A photo may be attributed to "circa 1971", or "during a 1968 game". rather than a specific event or date. Reliability decreases on assigning a year to earlier photos, as well. Some generic examples would be a photo from 1969 of a baseball player clearly from that year because of a visible MLB 100th Anniversary uniform patch, but listed as 1965, or 1968, or 1972. It could be a picture of an NFL player on, say, the Bears, with the player wearing a 1960s or early 70s helmet with a sold white wishbone C logo, but attributed to 1976, when the wishbone C had already been revised for a couple of years to have an orange stripe surrounded by a white outline. Research can be crucial on these older photos to avoid being frustrated in a photo match or other authentication attempt because the item you have isn't the one in the photo because the photo is misdated and not actually from the year that the item you have is. I hope this helps.

Dave Miedema