Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for 1st time GU purchase

Considering picking up a game used bat on eBay, which would be my first GU item.

Any tips to look for or consider before purchasing? The few I am considering are not authenticated. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Tips for 1st time GU purchase

Is it a modern player/item?

Photo matching it to a game or being able to check it would be best.

If it is an autograph (on a photo, ball etc) I would not bother with it unless it is MLB authenticated.

Feel free to share any images or links to the items and I would be happy to help find images of it being used.

I would suggest not buying anything without a definitive photo match or solid authentification. Without one of those things you will always have questions about the item in the back of your mind and you will never enjoy it the way you should......Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by magikbum View Post
    Is it a modern player/item?

Photo matching it to a game or being able to check it would be best.

If it is an autograph (on a photo, ball etc) I would not bother with it unless it is MLB authenticated.

Feel free to share any images or links to the items and I would be happy to help find images of it being used.
    Appreciate the feedback. It's a Starlin Castro bat, which the seller has quite a few listed. This one has an autograph, but a few of the others he has listed do not.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2011-STARLIN-...oAAOSwsBtaJtEy

Quote Originally Posted by jojac View Post
    I would suggest not buying anything without a definitive photo match or solid authentification. Without one of those things you will always have questions about the item in the back of your mind and you will never enjoy it the way you should......Just my opinion.
    Thanks for the response.

That's what I am leaning towards (solid authentication) being I wouldn't even know where to start to find pictures from 2011. I've only collected autographs up to this point and if I don't get it in person, I only buy items that have in-person certs. But apparently this seller owns a store in Chicago and seems to be legit. Curious if others have dealt with him in the past.

you can post pictures on here. There are helpful individuals that help to photomatch items. Otherwise, Getty Images is a good place to start with pictures for photomatches.

I've purchased from this seller and been happy. You need to check on the players use characteristics on the bat, where is tar, is the tape the right length, etc. Get the mfg. date and see if you can find photos near that mfg. date of the player using it. Watch the player and see what models they use the most. With Castro, it's usually LS or Marucci. The seller has rights to many Cubs players for gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by TBM View Post
    you can post pictures on here. There are helpful individuals that help to photomatch items. Otherwise, Getty Images is a good place to start with pictures for photomatches.
    Keeps saying file too large when uploading pictures.

Thanks for the pointer towards Getty.

Quote Originally Posted by TigersCubs84 View Post
    I've purchased from this seller and been happy. You need to check on the players use characteristics on the bat, where is tar, is the tape the right length, etc. Get the mfg. date and see if you can find photos near that mfg. date of the player using it. Watch the player and see what models they use the most. With Castro, it's usually LS or Marucci. The seller has rights to many Cubs players for gamers.
    Thanks for tips. I did look at quit a few pictures and mlb authenticated bats and they all seem to have similar characteristics (tape, tar, etc) as this sellers. Good to hear a "referal."

The knob says 7/6/11 so will search Getty for pics around that timeframe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TigersCubs84 View Post
    Make this an additional endorsement of bergiesports. I've dealt with Bergie for decades...he is awesome and cares about what he offers and how it's represented. He also has had Cubs connection for several years.

Dave Miedema