Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Way to Take Photos of Bats & Jerseys?

What's the best way to take photographs of bats and jerseys?

How do the auction sites get a completely white background with perfect lighting?

And how in the world does Heritage get their jerseys to do this:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...Auction-120115

Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Best Way to Take Photos of Bats & Jerseys?

This a great topic and one that I have been trying to figure out forever. I hope we get some great tips and tricks. Cause I stink at this!

Agree with Dave. Good topic Mark. Subscribed.

This is whats known as a 'floating torso' or 'ghost mannequin'.
    If you zoom in really close to bottom you can see the bottom of it and it looks like it has tape on it.
    The mannequin essentially exists everywhere you cant see and is wide enough to give it 'body'.
    The pictures themselves are essentially done in a studio.
    In this instance i'd imagine its pretty professional, but really all you need is a table with a white sheet covering it and a white sheet in the back as well.
    2 soft light boxes on each side, 1 on top and you are golden!!!
    Hope this helps

If you have ever had a professional picture taken. You sit there on a stool and look back at the camera. Remember all that bright lighting and those big white screens off to each side and above you? They provide diffused lighting to the area. This is needed to reduce any shadows. Then you need the proper staging. A proper background that works with your subject and enhances it or allows for digital enhancement like a green screen. However, good clean light is the most important. Some lights will give a yellowish hue to the picture and ruin what you are working on. Just a high level overview with what little I know.
    Professional photography is an art and can be expensive depending on the quality of your accessories. A couple of good diffused lighting sources are need as direct lighting will cause more shadows.
    Any easy cheap way to mimic this is to take your items outside on a nice sunny day. Setup a table with a white cloth and a another one with for a white back ground.

Banned

Cool Re: Best Way to Take Photos of Bats & Jerseys?

You can place it neatly on a clean carpet or floor to photograph it, as well. One thing, though: no one wants to see your feet (especially if they're bare) sticking up from the bottom of the photo.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by gobills123 View Post
    This is whats known as a 'floating torso' or 'ghost mannequin'.
    In this instance i'd imagine its pretty professional, but really all you need is a table with a white sheet covering it and a white sheet in the back as well.
    2 soft light boxes on each side, 1 on top and you are golden!!!
    Hope this helps
    Thanks for the input. I do have a few follow questions:

1. Any idea where I could get a cheap ghost mannequin?

2. I've tried using sheets in the past as a background, and no matter how much I try and iron them or stretch them, you can always see wrinkles or waves. I've also tried white poster board, but that usually isn't big enough for jerseys. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GoCrazyFolks76 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I do have a few follow questions:

1. Any idea where I could get a cheap ghost mannequin?

2. I've tried using sheets in the past as a background, and no matter how much I try and iron them or stretch them, you can always see wrinkles or waves. I've also tried white poster board, but that usually isn't big enough for jerseys. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Mark
    No worries Mark!
    When I get back in the office on Monday I'll go to our studio and ask the photographer and see what he says and lyk!
    In the mean time, maybe someone else has suggestions!

Sorry for the delay, busy week!

1st, he said the one we use was already here prior to his arrival but a quick google search for 'floating mannequin' has them for $150. You could probably dig and find a better price... as i literally just googled it and the 1st few were around that price.

As far as issues with wrinkles etc. If whatever you are doing is flat, he uses that white 'paper' that you cut with an exact-o knife.
    As for the other shots, he said you can either buy on of those photo backgrounds that pull down like a projector screen or use a sheet.

He said he prefers a sheet, but that means editing is involved.
    If you arent doing that, it explains why the white sheet has given you issues.

I hope this helps!

Some really great advice.

Thanks again!

Mark