Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Message from Cal Ripken's Ironclad

Many of you have probably received this email, but I wanted to Post it here.

Up for bids is a New Yorker style leather Fire helmet signed by Cal Ripken, Jr., authenticated by Ironclad Authentics. Ironclad Authentics, a division of Ripken Baseball had Cal Ripken, Jr. autograph the helmet for a fundraiser to support Devin Fales. Devin is an 8-yr old child with a rare form of anemia that causes bone marrow failure.

The members of The First Hose Company of Boonsboro, MD are handling the sale of this helmet for Devin. Included with the helmet are pictures of Cal Ripken, Jr wearing the helmet, and a certificate authenticating the signature.

The helmet is white leather. The shield is white with an orange 8, between orange Ripken and Orioles. This is a one of a kind item with the value to surely increase, with Cal's recent selection to the Baseball Hall of Fame. The reserve is very low, considering the value of this piece of collectible firefighting / sports memorabilia.

The goal of this auction is to raise money for young Devin, so please bid with your hearts, as well as your wallet, and remember, it's a charitable contribution. We will issue the necessary information for your tax purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Re: Message from Cal Ripken's Ironclad

This auction ends this evening and so far there have only been 3 bidders. I am the High Bidder #3 so hopefully someone can outbid me!!!!

Andrew

Andrew,
    Looks like someone has out bid you...........by the tone of your email you sounded like you were hoping you did not get stuck shelling out over $850 for the hat! Wish I had the funds or I'd bid myself
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Quote Originally Posted by ripkengamers View Post
    Andrew,
    Looks like someone has out bid you...........by the tone of your email you sounded like you were hoping you did not get stuck shelling out over $850 for the hat! Wish I had the funds or I'd bid myself
    Dan - Good read on that! I didn't need a fire helmet but I was happy to bid---if I won it---it would go up on a shelf with all my other oddball items.

My guess is Brett outbid me!!!

Andrew

Banned

Andrew-

Not to be difficult, however, why in the world would you or anyone who buys/sells game used equipment want this? I understand that the $$ is going to a great cause, but what's your interest in it? I could see it if it was somehow related to his playing days in some capacity, but come on.........a fireman's helmet that's been schmaltzed-up?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Andrew-

Not to be difficult, however, why in the world would you or anyone who buys/sells game used equipment want this? I understand that the $$ is going to a great cause, but what's your interest in it? I could see it if it was somehow related to his playing days in some capacity, but come on.........a fireman's helmet that's been schmaltzed-up?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

I concur , I am sure it is at least thoughtful what Ripken did , but if he and other rich people really wanted to help , just donate some of the millions you have in the bank, can't take it with you when you die . That helmet would be worth what $50.00 afterwards, not increase in value . Good luck to the winner when they go to sell it . So they want the average guy to fork out some money for a piece of crap helmet to help the kid .....so why not give the bidders something nice to own such as a real ripken p-72 gamer.....then your at least getting something nice.....the guy charges $275 for an auto ball ... why not do a signing and have the proceeds got to the kid, as I was saying if they really wanted to help, they could do more....just my take on it unless I'm missing out on some info here...

Wow, it's really hard to believe what i'm reading. An area fire company has a special fire helmet made (the so called "piece of crap" helmet) & asks Cal if he would simply sign it so they can auction it to raise money for a sick child & someone finds fault with that? Everyone knows that charity-related items sell more than their "retail" worth and that the high bidder may have charity on their mind vs. long term investment value. Besides, how do you know that Cal didn't give anything else for this venture? Ok, maybe he didnt give them a game used P72 but if all he did was provide them with a signature, he did more than 99.9% of the rest of us.

Andrew & Fellow Members:

I was thinking of jumping in on this one since it is going for a great cause but did not or have not done so. Cudos to Andrew and several other members for supporting this effort for a sick child. Like Ironmanfan said, maybe it is not a game used P-72 but it is a unique piece nonetheless and if it can do some good then that is the bottom line.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Let's not forget...if you're in the right place at the right time, you can still get Cal's signature for free...it's just a lot harder to know when he's going to show up in Aberdeen than it used to be in Baltimore!

True Mark, but I don't think this is about getting Cal's autograph (lets face it, he probably signed a million autographs for free over the past 25 years) but more for someone just trying to help a charitable cause & being criticized because (at least in the mind of one person), it just wasn't "enough." Well, the auction ended 2nite and some lucky bidder won the "piece of crap" helmet for $900. He may be the poor guy because when he tries to sell it down the road, he'll be lucky to get $50 for it, but at least in the eyes of one kid he's the better man.