Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

p.s.a. card submission help

Hi, need help. Im a game used guy, not really a card guy. I've never sent a card to be authenticated or graded before. I have an original Cal ripken jr. Wbtv card that I was wanting to send in. I also have most of the rest of the set. I went on the p.s.a. site and they have different price for the service, depending on "declared value". My question is how do you come up with that before grading as it pretty much dictates the value of the card. Which is strange that the same service preformed on every card, has such a difference price point. i know it costs more to grade a ripken than the pepper girls card? I need to get this done as cheaply as possible for the simple reason to seperate it from the fake one's out there. Just don't really no how to do it properly, without over paying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Re: p.s.a. card submission help

For the most part, the declared value is for insurance purposes I would think, so that if anything happens with your delivery, there is an associated value. Aside from that, differentiating the cost levels ensure that a 52 Topps Mantle is handled differently than a 83 Topps Wade Boggs, which I also agree with.

That being said, I would think of the value more as what you would believe you would be "out" if something were to happen with the card. Since the range is given, look for whatever the high end of the lower range is if you think your card fits into that category as well. ie) if a card is worth $550 in your estimation, there might be a $100-$499 range to look at.

Cheers.

Unless the card is in a lower grade, you're looking at a $5000-$25000 card.

PSA lists the card at $6500 in PSA 8, even though there have been recorded sales of a PSA 7 for $12k.

It's up to you, but I'd declare the card at Walk-Through tier ($250) for $9500.

The rest of the set would need to be submitted separately, though, since you'd be submitting those at the lowest tier. You could use the Collector's Club Special ($10 per card, min 25 cards) for the remainder (27 cards?) of the set.

If you want to gamble, you could possibly submit at the Super-Express tier ($95) and declare $4750, but you'd be risking it getting lost and only being insured for that value.

If you attempt to submit at any lower tier, PSA would call you to tell you that they have to charge your card for a higher tier, I think. Either that or they'll return the card ungraded. If that happens, I don't know how the fees are refunded.

I'd go with SGC before PSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I'd go with SGC before PSA.
    And you'd be leaving about 40% of the market value on the table by doing so... That is unless you're saying that you'd go with SGC to be sure it's not a counterfeit, and then submit to PSA for a crossgrade.

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about it being a counterfeit. I live in Charlotte and received these cards myself. 10 days before my 14th birthday. I have all my stuff from that game. Ice cream helmets, regular helmet, tickets, wristbands, caps, cups, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by zonker View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm not worried about it being a counterfeit. I live in Charlotte and received these cards myself. 10 days before my 14th birthday. I have all my stuff from that game. Ice cream helmets, regular helmet, tickets, wristbands, caps, cups, etc....
    In that case, you should definitely submit them to PSA. Now, given you got them as a teen birthday gift, what kind of condition are the cards in? Would you be willing/able to post a photo of the cards? Maybe someone can help do a grade estimate for you.

That would be nice, but I don't know how to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by zonker View Post
    That would be nice, but I don't know how to do that?
    If you have a flatbed scanner, scan them at 300-400 dpi. If not, just take a photo so the card is straight-on as opposed to at an angle.

Ok I took picture, if there's anyone who might have a decent guess. I can send it to whoever? Thanks again for any help. Sorry I'm so technically challenge'd.