Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Thumbs up Ebay #282369954415: Misdated Monoso cap

The seller lists the cap as 1951-53, which the design reflects; however, it is NOT from the 1950s. The LOA from Hunt Auctions, from which this cap was sourced (Hunt bought a collection from Minoso's family) dates it to the late 60's. That's also a bit off, however, as the New Era tag shown on the cap photos is one of 1985-87 design. Note: I am not saying that Minoso never wore the cap. I'm sure he did, just not from his playing career or the late 1960s. The seller does not accept messages, so I was unable to contact him directly.

Dave Miedema

Re: Ebay #282369954415: Misdated Monoso cap

I informed the seller of the tag issue. I'll see if there's a response or if messages from me get blocked, too.

Banned

Question Re: Ebay #282369954415: Misdated Monoso cap

[QUOTE=LarryWalkerFan;404294]I informed the seller of the tag issue. I'll see if there's a response or if messages from me get blocked, too.

Any luck on getting a response about the cap from this guy yet? I'm not sure if his refusal to accept messages via eBay is personal to me or if it's a general policy for him. I did contact him once before about another Minoso item which was from Minoso, but was not researched well by Hunt Auctions, and, while his response wasn't snarky nor nasty, he seemed to believe that, since it was part of the Minoso collection and it had a Hunt's LOA, that they were right and I was wrong, and declined to amend his lot description. I'd be curious to see what he told you.

Dave M.

[QUOTE=sox83cubs84;404496]
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryWalkerFan View Post
    I informed the seller of the tag issue. I'll see if there's a response or if messages from me get blocked, too.

Any luck on getting a response about the cap from this guy yet? I'm not sure if his refusal to accept messages via eBay is personal to me or if it's a general policy for him. I did contact him once before about another Minoso item which was from Minoso, but was not researched well by Hunt Auctions, and, while his response wasn't snarky nor nasty, he seemed to believe that, since it was part of the Minoso collection and it had a Hunt's LOA, that they were right and I was wrong, and declined to amend his lot description. I'd be curious to see what he told you.

Dave M.
    He's been harassing me through eBay messaging. His argument amounts to, it can't be a 1985-1987, since it's missing the MLB flag. I told him it may have fallen off (or been removed), but he says I'm reaching by saying that.

I've told him multiple times that it's unlikely that someone would swap out a legitimate New Era 1950s flag with one from 1985-1987, but he's holding to his story.

BTW, he has decided to block me, as well.

I forgot to add:

He claims repeatedly that Paul Carr sent him an apology, since his cap is a 1950s cap with 1980s tagging. I'm pretty sure Paul did no such thing, as when asked to produce the apology, he claims that he posted it in his original listing.

Some people are truly deluded in life, and eBay seller "joyce0614jim" appears to be among that group.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWalkerFan View Post
    I forgot to add:

He claims repeatedly that Paul Carr sent him an apology, since his cap is a 1950s cap with 1980s tagging. I'm pretty sure Paul did no such thing, as when asked to produce the apology, he claims that he posted it in his original listing.

Some people are truly deluded in life, and eBay seller "joyce0614jim" appears to be among that group.
    Good job of being persistent. It's just a reminder for collectors to be willing to do more research on many of these Minoso Collection items, since Hunt's apparently dropped the ball on the researching and dating of many of the items.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Good job of being persistent. It's just a reminder for collectors to be willing to do more research on many of these Minoso Collection items, since Hunt's apparently dropped the ball on the researching and dating of many of the items.

Dave M.
    Based upon he LOAs, I'm not sure Hunt can be blamed, per se. Yes, they should do more research, but they seem to be relying upon the family's opinion, for the most part.

The thing that irks me most about this hat is that the hats had red trim around the white letters through 1963, so I'm not sure how this would be a 1950s hat, anyway.

I have found that many auction companys know nothing about caps. Proper research materials are available out there including several great websites dealing with Major League caps.

-Walt

Tallyman77