Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

To Have It Autographed or Not That Is The Question

I currently have two old bats Rich Allen and Howie Bedell and I am asking your opinion do I have the bats autographed by the two gentlemen Allen and Bedell or just leave them alone unsigned. Thank you.

Clare Jerabek
    clarejerabek@wowway.com

Re: To Have It Autographed or Not That Is The Question

If the bats have been graded, I wouldn't have them signed. And if the bats have an historical significance I again would not get them signed. Aside from those reasons I guess you can have them signed, definitely video(not photograph) the signing. You can always get a photo from the video. Have someone you trust do the video so you can concentrate on the signing, and to be in the video for provenance.

Robert

Is the reason you won't get graded bats signed is that the bat was documented and photographed as unsigned on the cert?

Why are you adverse to getting historical event bats signed?

Thanks
    David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Hi David. I'm thinking that having a graded bat signed might change the grade, especially if the autograph covers significant markings. For instance the Swoboda game used bat I just got from Ken's auction has ball marks, prominent stitch marks, I even think the bat was boned- all in the area where the signature would go. The signature would obscure, and in other area camoflage the markings (aside from the fact that I am never happy how a autograph ends up on an item; its always too high or not where I ask it to be). Barry Halpers collection was filled with significant items he has signed and they did look good (but he also recommended spraying polyurethane on signed baseballs to preserve them). The language on the Mears grade chart is also very sensitive and that may tip the grade from a 9 to an 8-maybe. There's no law against it, I just rather keep it as is, and besides over the years the sharpie will fade and create a distraction away from the bat markings. Other historical items not graded, no problem I guess. I just got this thing in my head from the baseball cards that a graded significant card should never get signed, and I seem to think that translates to game used item. I guess it's just a preference.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Interesting perspective.

Thanks for sharing Robert.

Enjoy the bat so glad it was you who won it!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.