Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Exclamation New Thread Idea Need Member and Mod Opinions

For years now I have saved images of jerseys I felt or someone else felt was suspect. These jerseys had all the tell tale signs and over whelming evidence of tampering, forgery, misrepresentation or a myriad of other obvious issues. This gives me a reference point so in the future I do not make a regrettable purchase if these black eyes on our wonderful hobby come back to market.

I am bringing this up becuase we constantly see new threads here that point out jerseys, bats, autographs etc etc that are clearly not what they are being represented to be. The Wade jersey is just the latest and also one I saved photos of.

I am asking for members to give their opinions on whether it would be useful to have a dedicated thread for these items. Just as important, could a Mod reply as to whether we can even do this if we set ground rules and have a set of checks in place that must be met before an item makes it to the dedicated thread?

The Wade jersey is a prime example and one that has feedback from a very highly respected member here that I think is a shining example of an item that needs to be documented. I know essentially it already is documented but I'm talking about an area where all the members here can visit and educate themselves so they do not spend their hard earned $$$$ on an item that has no place in our hobby if it is not being represented accurately.

My thoughts are a short description coupled with properly sized photos but no discussion what so ever. The discussion should have already taken place in another thread and once it's deemed the item belongs in the "Bunk GU" thread then a mod, myself or any member can upload photos. With that being said I have no issue uploading photos for anyone and this would definitely add more structure to the thread because every photo would be sized the same (if the original resolution allows for that but I have software that can aid in the event it is not). There is nothing worse than having to scroll through numerous photos that are sized incorrectly and make navigating a thread incredibly cumbersome.

Please add your thoughts and don't be afraid to completely the slam the idea. I lost my issues with sensitivty years ago

Re: New Thread Idea Need Member and Mod Opinions

There are databases with exemplars of good legit items and what they should look like so why not the bad? I would support this if the powers that be said it was ok to do.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

admin_old

I would be supportive of this, assuming the items are clearly and factually documented as forged, altered, or otherwise fake. Items people "think" are bad, cannot be included, as I've seen far too many opinions proved wrong.

That is a great point Doug.

A "bad sellers" list was proposed several years ago but we never implemented for fear of exposing us to slander accusations and lawsuits.

As long as we focus on facts which back up an item being fake without naming names this can work.

I would even go so far making this thread a compilation of fake exemplars and continue to post in existing threads any discussions. Once the discussions have revealed the item to be bad we document it into the master bad item thread. (perhaps with a link to the original discussion)
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Great idea. Suspect item data base.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    I would even go so far making this thread a compilation of fake exemplars and continue to post in existing threads any discussions. Once the discussions have revealed the item to be bad we document it into the master bad item thread. (perhaps with a link to the original discussion)

This was my thought exactly. Nothing more than exemplars of items that are known to not be what they are being advertised as. Not a discussion thread just examples with clear photos and a description of an item that is being passed off as something it isn't.

If this has approval from the Mods then what would an acceptable Title be for the thread in question?