Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Wilson code CC or DD for Heritage Larry Brown game used football

I am interested in the 1970 Larry Brown game used football in Heritage's auction. It claims to be from 10-19-70 and has that date painted on the panel. But the letter code for the ball is "DD". Aren't 1970 Wilson game balls supposed to be "CC"?

Any help would be appreciated. Photo attached
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Wilson code CC or DD for Heritage Larry Brown game used football

I know nothing about the football in question, but I agree a DD small-logo Rozelle ball is from 1971.

Most of 1970 season the NFL used a block-letter printed ball, transitioning to this style in late 1970-71 season. Both styles manufactured in 1970 were date coded CC..

Just looked up some data and photos; Redskins and Bengals actually played on Oct. 25, 1970. Game ball was a 1970 block-letter style as far as I can tell

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Just wondering what that ball is then.

Couldn't say for sure; only thought I have - presuming it's legit, and has some accompanying documentation - is that this was some kind of postseason presentation ball, since it basically couldn't be from the game referenced. That would also mean whoever the team had paint the ball screwed up the date. Enough uncertainty that I'd personally take a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNationPDX View Post
    I know nothing about the football in question, but I agree a DD small-logo Rozelle ball is from 1971.

Most of 1970 season the NFL used a block-letter printed ball, transitioning to this style in late 1970-71 season. Both styles manufactured in 1970 were date coded CC..
    Hi, there! Please, may you share your knowledge about Wilson football date codes?
    I'm trying to guess when were made a few pigskins of mine and Wilson consumer service is not helping. I only know it works by decades. Do you have any chart? Google didnt help me so far... :/
    Thanks a lot!