Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cubs World Series!!!

Typing the title for this thread still felt weird. I honestly remained pessimistic throughout the entire NLCS. "Something bad will happen" was always in the back of my head. It's over and I can type this with the biggest grin I've ever had on my face. This is going to be a World Series for the ages!!!!

Re: Cubs World Series!!!

I also love the fact that Rizzo tucked the final out baseball in his back pocket instantly! He knew he had a real piece of history in his hand.

Banned

Talking Re: Cubs World Series!!!

If the Cubs win the World Series, the city here will probaably shut down for a week. The parade and rally will dwarf anything the White Sox or Blackhawks did since the beginning of the century.

Dave Miedema

My wife and I are retired baby-boomers on medicare, but we were both infants when the Indians last won the Series. Neither of us was born when the Cubs last won the pennant. And none of our four parents were born when the Cubs last won the Series.

These are great times for baseball, even if some of the "dynasty" lovers still boycott the TV coverage of the Series. Baseball's discovering what the NFL learned long ago: that parity's great. That's why all NFL fans watch the Super Bowl regardless of what teams are in. Hopefully all baseball fans will finally learn to watch the Series. Personally, I've seen every Series since 1957.

If anyone is still alive when the Cubs won the World Series last God bless you

There are people alive that were living when the Cubs last won the World Series; however, Adele Dunlap from New Jersey, who was born December 12th, 1902; could actually remember it. She was born in Newark, New Jersey, so it would be interesting if an interview would take place with her about it -- assuming she is healthy enough for this.

There are people alive from other countries that could actually remember it, but that would be unlikely with technology back then. The two oldest men from the United States still alive were both born in May 1906; so they would not be able to remember it at that age, but were alive for it.

I was hoping for this World Series when the final four teams had advanced. It is the battle of "someone has to win" and should be a very well-watched World Series and one that FOX Sports had to be happy with.

Banned

Talking Re: Cubs World Series!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    My wife and I are retired baby-boomers on medicare, but we were both infants when the Indians last won the Series. Neither of us was born when the Cubs last won the pennant. And none of our four parents were born when the Cubs last won the Series.

These are great times for baseball, even if some of the "dynasty" lovers still boycott the TV coverage of the Series. Baseball's discovering what the NFL learned long ago: that parity's great. That's why all NFL fans watch the Super Bowl regardless of what teams are in. Hopefully all baseball fans will finally learn to watch the Series. Personally, I've seen every Series since 1957.
    Whatever group of fans who want to ignore the games based on no dynasty teams bein involved will be dwarfed by the legions of fans and casual fans who know that, either way, something YUGE is gonna happen here. When all is said and done, I personally think that this will be the highest rated World Series in terms of TV viewership ever.

Dave M.

The Cubs are by far the longest continuously-operating franchise in a single city in professional sports. They began play in 1871, ironically named the White Stockings. ( No connection with the later-formed White Sox.) They lost a couple of early years due to the fire, so the Braves, who also started in 1871, are the longest-running franchise. But the Braves, who were ironically named the Boston Red Stockings, have moved twice. (And they're not connected with the later-formed Red Sox.)

Both the Braves' and the Cubs' franchises were charter members of the NL when it was formed in 1876. The Cincinnati Red Stockings of 1869 are NOT the longest-running prpfessional franchise, despite their claims. The Cincinnatti Base Ball Club disbanded its professional team in 1870. Part of that team then moved to Boaton, which formed a new and separate franchise that have played since, and are today's Braves. The only claim Cincinnatti can make is that their 1869 team inspired the modern names of three teams.

The Cubs, then known as the White Stockings, won the first-ever major-league championship by winning the National League's first pennant in its inaugural season of 1876. Their record was 52-14, some six games ahead of Hartford and St. Louis ( not connected with later St. Louis teams.) Thus, the Cubs currectly can claim the be both the first and last (so-far) MLB champions.

Although some consider the National Association of Professional Base Ball Players (1871-75) as a major league, it had an open-admission policy that included some very weak, semi-pro clubs that were barely minor-league level at best. The NL was the first professional league that restricted admission to a small number of well-financed clubs in strong markets, which is the basic definition of a major league.

The White Stockings ( direct ancestors of the Cubs) and the Red Stockings ( direct ancestors of today's Braves) were the only clubs to survive the NL 's first few years. Those Red Stockings won the NL's first-ever game, at Philadelphia.

Thought this should be viewed by all. just Wtf?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TckHjkMEovU