Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Russell authentic jersey tagging from 90s and 2000s

I was always under the impression that retail russells had neck tags and no size or fabric flap attached to jock tag, those ones would signify game jersey or very least a team issue blank that was customized. Lately i've heard people refer to non neck tag jerseys with the fabric jock tag flaps as "retail from russell" . Is this true? Were they available as retail back then?

Re: Russell authentic jersey tagging from 90s and 2000s

This is the bible of Jerseys. https://gamewornguides.com/
    Good luck and enjoy

Thanks, unfortunately im the world's cheapest man and rely on others to tell me haha

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Russell authentic jersey tagging from 90s and 2000s

There have been a few rare exceptions to this. There are 1993 Colorado Rockies home and road gamers with retail tagging that were acquired, with team LOAs, in a bulk purchase from the team by Ball Park Heroes. Also, in the early/mid 1990s, there was a set of Tigers home gamers made for a Special Olympics fundraiser involving former Detroit area show promoter Jim Hawkins that also had retail tagging, but had handwritten inscriptions on the Russell tags.

Dave Miedema

Yeah the rockies i'd heard about and got super excited once wben i found out i had a tagged rockies jersey with team issued buttons....im curious about montreal expos russells, ive only ever seen gamers and team issued jerseys have no neck tag and the little white flap on jock tag with sizing and '"nylon" or "polyester". Has anyone ever seen an expos retail jersey like that? I was under the impression those signify team issued at minimum.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Russell authentic jersey tagging from 90s and 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by Juicyfruit66 View Post
    Yeah the rockies i'd heard about and got super excited once wben i found out i had a tagged rockies jersey with team issued buttons....im curious about montreal expos russells, ive only ever seen gamers and team issued jerseys have no neck tag and the little white flap on jock tag with sizing and '"nylon" or "polyester". Has anyone ever seen an expos retail jersey like that? I was under the impression those signify team issued at minimum.
    I've never seen a certifiable Expos gamer with a collar retail tag. The fabric content tags you mention are only seen on jerseys issued to the teams, although there is a third possible one: an Intera tag (Russell's own fabric creation) which appears sporadically in 1992-94 gamers of all teams Russell supplied in those years. The Intera tag is larger in size than the normal polyester or nylon tag.

Dave M.

Dave, tbats what i thought.....recently a couple of peole have showed me expos jerseys with the flap tag on jock with no neck tag and called them retail. Im on the same page you are, i think they are team issued...

Banned

Cool Re: Russell authentic jersey tagging from 90s and 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by Juicyfruit66 View Post
    Dave, tbats what i thought.....recently a couple of peole have showed me expos jerseys with the flap tag on jock with no neck tag and called them retail. Im on the same page you are, i think they are team issued...
    IMHO they apparently don't know what they have.

Dave M.

I had a 1993 game-used San Francisco Giants home jersey made by Russell that had both a neck tag and tail tagging that I obtained directly from the late-Dick Dobbins. Mr. Dobbins, who for years was the provider of Giants game-worn jerseys to the hobby, was one of the best there ever was!

With regards to football, 1996 Russell jerseys of the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles jerseys have small Russell size tags in the neck with no tail tagging, and various game-worn college teams have worn Russell with the small neck tags and no tail tags as well. The Houston Oilers had the larger Russell tag in the neck of their jerseys in their 1990 jerseys (looked similar to the typical Russell tail tag) and had no tail tags.

See below photos for several football jersey examples. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the San Francisco Giants baseball jersey mentioned above.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Seller really wasn't paying attention to what they had, i opened mail today and was pleased to find vidro's autograph on it as well. Stitching is all identical to my other team issued stitching for the expos.
    Attached Images Attached Images