Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Questions on GU basketball jerseys

I have a few questions about older game worn basketball jerseys and I figured this was the best place to ask. First of all, is there a big difference in collectability between home jerseys and away jerseys? Does one usually bring more value than the other or are they usually fairly equal?

Secondly, I was curious if anyone knows about how many jerseys players would usually go through per season during the mid 80's (85/86 to 87/88) and the mid 90's (95/96 to 97/98)? I imagine it's not like today where players are getting new jerseys very often. I know there won't be an exact answer to this question but a good estimate would suffice.
    In addition to this, were game worn jerseys from the 80's kept by collectors as often as today's jerseys? Are 80's jerseys relatively common to find on the market or are they somewhat rare?

And finally, when did teams start issuing more jerseys to players so that they could sell them as collectibles? I know the Bulls started doing this with Jordan jerseys in the 90's (issuing him a new jersey almost every game and auctioning them off for charity and the like), but I wasn't sure if all teams started doing this in the 90's or if this was just the Bulls due to the immense popularity of MJ.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide.

Re: Questions on GU basketball jerseys

As far as home and away goes I think it all depends on the team, and the style. Home Suns jerseys from the 90s go for more than the away, but the away Magic jerseys from the late 90s early 00s go for more than the home. It's on a style by style basis.

Back then players were normally given 2 jerseys per style. If they needed more they had to pay for them, like Dennis Rodman.

80s come up pretty often in auction houses but I personally believe the 90s champion jerseys carry the most premium, although again it all depends on the player and the significance to the year its from.

Quote Originally Posted by droop685 View Post
    As far as home and away goes I think it all depends on the team, and the style. Home Suns jerseys from the 90s go for more than the away, but the away Magic jerseys from the late 90s early 00s go for more than the home. It's on a style by style basis.

Back then players were normally given 2 jerseys per style. If they needed more they had to pay for them, like Dennis Rodman.

80s come up pretty often in auction houses but I personally believe the 90s champion jerseys carry the most premium, although again it all depends on the player and the significance to the year its from.

Interesting. Just curious why you think the 90s Champion jerseys carry a premium over others? I'm unfamiliar with the manufacturer time periods.

Read my article in Slam Magazine. It goes all into that question. Here is a link

The 2nd Tag

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Questions on GU basketball jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyT View Post
    Interesting. Just curious why you think the 90s Champion jerseys carry a premium over others? I'm unfamiliar with the manufacturer time periods.
    Champion was the exclusive NBA uniform supplier from 1990-91 through 1996-97. Before that, Sand-Knit had the exclusive deal from 1986-87 through 1989-90. No official league uniform source existed prior to the Sand-Knit deal, as teams ordered from among several manufacturers, picking the one of their choice.

Dave Miedema

Great info, thanks guys. So is there any particular year of Champion jerseys that stands out as the most collectible? Or is the entire 90/91 to 96/97 run equally desirable among collectors?

Don't you also have to really do your homework on NBA Gamers from the 90's? There's a lot of 90's gamers floating around on auction houses but isn't hard to differentiate between the Pro Cuts and Real because they have the same tagging?

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Questions on GU basketball jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by CPuente57 View Post
    Don't you also have to really do your homework on NBA Gamers from the 90's? There's a lot of 90's gamers floating around on auction houses but isn't hard to differentiate between the Pro Cuts and Real because they have the same tagging?
    True. The worst are the NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys, made in or around 1992-93, with dual tagging like the gamers. The only way to tell the NBACC items from actual NBA superstar gamers, based on the player, involves differences in NOB/number fonts, extra length sizing, and, on the Charles Barkley Suns retail jerseys, the location of the NBA logo. A couple of just-retired players (Bird and Magic Johnson) were issued, as well.

Dave M.