Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Milestone Baseballs

Just curious as to why someone would pay $1,000+ for a baseball that was used in a milestone game. I get paying big $$$ for the actual milestone ball, but not just a ball that was used in a milestone game. Would like to hear your thoughts on this.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Re: Milestone Baseballs

My guess is because they have too much money in the first place. Second guess is because they can.

Seriously though, I have wondered that same question. I can see if it was a no hitter or a perfect game and the ball was pitched by the pitcher throwing that milestone game. But a random ball from someone's 500th HR game, or Debut game or so many others. I don't get it either.

I don't get why they sell so high. But I do understand someone wanting the ball from a specific game. If something happened significant in the game, that makes it even more appealing.

I try to collect the commemoratives used throughout the season. If I can get one from a game I actually attended, I'll pay slightly more. It adds to the coolness.

But $1,000 is more than I've paid for any ball in my collection.

I never understood this either. When I really laugh is when I see certain sellers on eBay asking $5000-$10,000 for a ball from a game were mike Trout or Bryant had their debut or first hit. They get it signed and think someone will be gullible enough to shell out that kind of cash for a ball that had no actual connection to that player other than its from that game. Absolutely nuts.

Banned

Talking Re: Milestone Baseballs

It wasn't on eBay, but my favorite was back in 1998, when a semi-homeless guy who hung out with the Ballhawks on Waveland Avenue caught a Mark McGwire BP home run ball, and then tried to sell it to me at an inflated price because it was McGwire's first BP HR at Wrigley Field from his 70HR season. Needless to say, I passed.

Then, five years later, the guy got a game HR on Waveland Ave. during the NLCS against the Marlins. I offered him $100 for it, and he laughed, thinking he'd sell it for an amount in four figures. After the NLCS he was acting obnoxious on the street in Chicago, having the HR ball with him because he had no permanent place to stay. The cops took him to the station, and one of them confiscated the baseball. Instead of thousands of dollars, he got zip for it.

Dave Miedema

Carbonrosa please contact me at JEFFREDSFAN1975@YAHOO.COM

Thank you.

Jeff

It's crazy. During Randy Johnson's 300th win, only seven balls were authenticated that were actually thrown by Randy Johnson. One of our esteemed members got five of them at the game and had Randy sign them. I ended up with one for $600. But I have seen tons of random balls from that game For sale at $1,000+.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com