Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Is this King Felix's jersey?

Hey everyone, I just picked up this spring training/BP jersey and after some CSI work, I believe I may have found a gem and would love to hear your thoughts. The seller listed it as a 2003 Brian Sweeney jersey but it is actually from 2006 as this was a one year jersey style that the Mariners wore for spring training and BP during the regular season. The M's decided to slightly change their previous years mainly navy blue jerseys by adding the teal shoulder panels for 2006 but went away with the teal shoulder panels the next year. Anyways I knew that Felix Hernandez's wore #59 for his rookie year in 2005 so I was wondering maybe he also wore #59 for spring training in 2006 before switching to his well known #34. I managed to find 2 photos of him wear this same jersey style while still sporting #59. I guess he changed to #34 prior to the 2006 regular season. I also found out that Eric O'Flaherty wore jersey #59 for his 2006 rookie season. He wasn't called up until mid-August and made 15 appearances in 2006. BTW, this jersey does not appear to have had a number change.

The jersey is size 50 which is the size Felix wore his rookie season. The best I could find for O'Flaherty was some of his 2007 jerseys which were size 48. The jersey has a 0065 wash tag code which I researched and found that it matches the code for actual player issued BP jerseys of this period so I know this isn't a retail jersey. I noticed that the seller also had dozens of Padres spring training/BP jerseys and other Mariners's spring training stuff too. I messaged him and asked him if these were from the Mariners and Padres shared spring training facility in Peoria, AZ and he confirmed that they were and that he knew both team's equipment people well.

An interesting thing I discovered when I received the jersey was that it actually had a nameplate removed. These spring training/BP jerseys should have no NOB so I was kind of perplexed. Then I thought maybe it was recycled for use in the minor leagues so I did more research and actually found pictures of the 2007 AZL league rookie-class Mariners wearing the same style jerseys. The AZL rookie-class Mariners also play at the spring training facility in Peoria, AZ. Maybe a nameplate was added for them or one of the coaches?

Sorry about the long read but do you guys think I did my homework with this jersey? I always wanted a King Felix jersey but they are too expensive for my budget so this would be awesome if it is what I think it is. I bought it for $37 shipped so I don't have much into it anyways.

Thanks for your time,
    -Sherman
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Is this King Felix's jersey?

Photo of Denny Almonte during his time with the 2007 AZL Mariners. He was drafted in 2007.
    Attached Images Attached Images