Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1998 San Diego Padres World Series hat

Hello ,
    I just acquired this hat . The seller who sold it to me is a friend of Bruce Bochy's . He was given the hat by Bochy in 1998 during the time of the World Series. ( the friend resides in NY city ) He says that he asked Bochy for a hat and this is the one he was given . His interest was purely to wear it , he did not see any value in it being game used or as a collectible, all he cared for was the wearability of it . Since it didn't fit his head he never wore it and now has sold it . He is not sure if it is the one Bochy himself wore but he does know it was one that was given directly for the team to wear ( team issued ) . My question is how do I classify it. I am confused since the item came directly from Bochy .Also as an aside I do notice that the tagging is diff. from all the ones I see for sale that were sold to the public. Those seem to have the authentic tag inside instead of the Diamond collection tag as seen on this one. Thank you all for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: 1998 San Diego Padres World Series hat

Bochy has a huge melon. I believe he wears a size 8. If it was worn by him or any other player, there would be a number written on the inside of the crown.

Probably a new (at the time) hat?
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

I've seen a 1999-2001 Bochy hat as sold by Mears and it was a 7 1/2 in size . that is one reason not really sure if it would be his but still make me wonder what do I call it . Perhaps " a team issued cap given by Bruce Bochy " http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...-lot77555.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jello7654 View Post
    I've seen a 1999-2001 Bochy hat as sold by Mears and it was a 7 1/2 in size . that is one reason not really sure if it would be his but still make me wonder what do I call it . Perhaps " a team issued cap given by Bruce Bochy " http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...-lot77555.aspx
    The Mears Bochy hat was a retail version of the hat. You, yourself mentioned the differences of tagging. Bochy wears a size bigger than an 8.
    I would classify your hat as a game issued hat.