Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 HOF voting

Re: 2017 HOF voting

If the ped guys don't count as cheaters, why is rose still banned? Taking enhancing drugs to play better than those. Who follow the rules is pretty low in my opinion, bad role models and bad exanples to young players

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    Manny was amazing .
    Seriously
    And love able
    Not like a McGwire or Sosa where it was a home run or a K
    Look at his OBP
    McGwire was not of the same offensive profile as Sosa, his career OBP% is .400, he took walks and had a great batting eye. Sosa's career OBP% is about 50 points lower. They may have both chased the HR record one season, but they were far different at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOnBat View Post
    McGwire was not of the same offensive profile as Sosa, his career OBP% is .400, he took walks and had a great batting eye. Sosa's career OBP% is about 50 points lower. They may have both chased the HR record one season, but they were far different at the plate.
    Sosa also had more Hits, Runs, Home Runs, RBI, Doubles, Triples, stolen bases and a higher Batting Average
    Always looking for Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field Items

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    Dude, Manny might be the greatest right handed hitter of all time. I don't think he'll ever get in because of the multiple failed tests but he was incredible.
    Once Pudge gets in, the rest of the non-failed test steroid guys need to get in. Pudge clearly used, Bagwell most likely used, all these guys still belong in the Hall (along with Barry, Roger, Sosa etc). A Rod, Manny and Palmeiro won't get in because of the failed tests.

Its amazing the lack of love for McGriff, the Crime Dog was a no-doubt HOFer.
    Pujols>Ramirez

No doubt manny is one of the best from the right side however.

IMO- Mark McGwire should be in the HOF for making people CARE about baseball again!
    Ripken may have 'saved' baseball after the 1994 strike, however McGwire pushed it back to the spot as America's pastime in 1998

I hate these self righteous voters...if it wasn't against the rules at the time, and wasn't banned, and if no positive tests.....if they are worthy let them in....
    (than again I think Rose SHOULD be in as well, put a note on his plaque that he was banned from MLB Baseball (but not the hall of fame)

Quote Originally Posted by nevrdiez34 View Post
    Sosa also had more Hits, Runs, Home Runs, RBI, Doubles, Triples, stolen bases and a higher Batting Average
    Counting stats are cool. The SLG% and OPS aren't even close. McGwire amassed a higher career WAR in 500 less games, while playing a position that will not aid your wins above replacement from a defensive standpoint. 500.

Banned

I agree with Ken on Manny and McGwire.
    If you are a student of the game, the art of hitting, the mechanics of the swing, then you recognize that Manny is a top 3 right handed hitter of all time. He had the picture perfect swing for power and average i.e. Bonds from the left side.
    (Bonds is the greatest hitter of all time btw).

Regarding Pujols. Pujols was probably the greatest right handed hitter of all time during his time in St. Louis but his decline when switching to the AL was incredible. The mechanics of his swing completely fell apart and he literally has been the 4th-5th best hitter on a weak Angels teams since he arrived. He guesses fastball, sits and spins on everything. You can't be in the argument for best hitter when you hit .270 over an extended time. Albert's offseason training never evolved as he got older which has resulted in reduced bat speed, less strength and frankly, a really poor swing. Someone like A Rod, ramped up his offseason training as he got older and was able to maintain great mechanics aside from battling injuries.

The mechanics of his swing completely fell apart and he literally has been the 4th-5th best hitter on a weak Angels teams since he arrived. He guesses fastball, sits and spins on everything. You can't be in the argument for best hitter when you hit .270 over an extended time. Albert's offseason training never evolved as he got older which has resulted in reduced bat speed, less strength and frankly, a really poor swing. Someone like A Rod, ramped up his offseason training as he got older and was able to maintain great mechanics aside from battling injuries.
    This has likely been a direct result of chronic foot injuries. Compensation.

Since I can no longer edit this, I'll just reply.

My apologies if my response came off in poor tone as that is not my intent. If someone wishes to punish McGwire for not staying healthy, that is certainly understandable and a part of the equation for sure.

Happy holidays.

Counting stats are cool. The SLG% and OPS aren't even close. McGwire amassed a higher career WAR in 500 less games, while playing a position that will not aid your wins above replacement from a defensive standpoint. 500.

Since we have the mutual admiration society going, I will say this is extremely well thought out and exactly how I feel.
    If there is a drug that can help you hit 45 Hrs, while striking out 41 times, and walking more than 6 out of 10 times up at the plate (while batting .362) let me have it!

I agree with Ken on Manny and McGwire.
    If you are a student of the game, the art of hitting, the mechanics of the swing, then you recognize that Manny is a top 3 right handed hitter of all time. He had the picture perfect swing for power and average i.e. Bonds from the left side.
    (Bonds is the greatest hitter of all time btw).

Regarding Pujols. Pujols was probably the greatest right handed hitter of all time during his time in St. Louis but his decline when switching to the AL was incredible. The mechanics of his swing completely fell apart and he literally has been the 4th-5th best hitter on a weak Angels teams since he arrived. He guesses fastball, sits and spins on everything. You can't be in the argument for best hitter when you hit .270 over an extended time. Albert's offseason training never evolved as he got older which has resulted in reduced bat speed, less strength and frankly, a really poor swing. Someone like A Rod, ramped up his offseason training as he got older and was able to maintain great mechanics aside from battling injuries.