Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

The New England Patriots game used thread

So I have started a few other focus threads and I think they have been a great resource for learning and spreading knowledge, but also to network with fellow like minded collectors.

This one is for the New England Patriots. I would hope that this thread is used for Patriots collectors to share pickups, spread knowledge and learn from others. We no longer have Jeff C around (Mulligans), but I know there are other Pats collectors out there that have some really great items in their collections (Steve B, Eric A, Tobey H, Nick C, Chris J, etc).

I'll start the thread off with a recent pickup of mine...

1995 Curtis Martin rookie game used helmet (Tim Brown LOA)
    I was recently able to pick up this Curtis Martin helmet from the Tim Brown collection. The helmet was not marketed with a year of use. Before purchasing it I figured it was from a year that Martin and Brown both went to the Pro Bowl, where they would likely exchange equipment. Martin's 1996 season is in the Pro Football HOF so I knew it wasn't likely from 1996. 1997 wasn't a good year for Martin, so I figured I would start by researching 1995, Martin's ROY season. There were a few things about the helmet that were pretty easy to match up. Around the first Jets game that year in the Meadowlands, Martin had a big gash/indent on his left side of the helmet that extended from the bottom rear of the flying elvis logo. This gash is present through the end of the season through the Pro Bowl that year. Over the course of the season the chin strap and mouthguard that Martin wore changed, but the current chin strap is easily verified by photographs from the later part of the season (definitely at Pitt). The chinstrap that is on the helmet currently has wearing away of the "id" in "Riddell" on Martin's right side and a diagonal wearing away on Martin's left side of the "Ri" from "Riddell." Lastly there are two hit marks/indents on the right side of the helmet that are still seen on the helmet but show up well in the Buffalo road game.

Martin has signed the helmet to Tim Brown, but the signature is a bit faded and I may completely remove the inscription to Brown one day. The facemask clips are all from 1995 except one from 1994. The mouthguard string is still attached to the helmet, but thte guard itself is not intact. The screws to hold the facemask in place changed during the season from a darker color to a more silver color as well in different locations. As Martin received damage to the flying elvis decals they were replaced.

I look forward to seeing the pickups, meeting some Pats collectors and learning from you all
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Re: The New England Patriots game used thread

Dave Meggett 1996 season/1997 Pro Bowl game used AFC practice jersey (personally obtained)

This is my very first game used football piece. I was in high school and when Meggett (my favorite player growing up) was selected to the Pro Bowl, my parents were nice enough to take me to Honolulu to see the game. This was pre Stubhub so you had to get tickets through brokers.

Anyway, the day before the game at Aloha Stadium, after the AFC practice ended, Dave Meggett came straight over to the only guy who was wearing a Dave Meggett jersey (me) and also holding up one for him to sign. Curtis Martin was also heading over to sign autographs at the time, but I held my position for Meggett instead of going over to Curtis. Meggett called for my jersey to sign and signed it. Then he took of his practice jersey and threw it to me. It was the coolest thing for me at the time (Mean Joe Greene moment). Dave had/has his problems with treating women, but I will never forget his act for a fan. It's also probably a reason why I collect game used stuff.

Randy Moss 2009 game used international jersey (PSA/DNA NFL Auctions)
    I can't remember a more exciting wide receive in my lifetime than Randy Moss. 2007 was such an amazing season to watch, I'm still looking for a legit 2007 Moss home jersey. Anyway, this is a 2009 game used jersey from the game against the Bucs at Wembley Stadium. The jersey is unwashed and still has some original Wembley grass and mud stains present. 2009 was the 50th anniversary of the AFL so the patch is present on the left chest. The International Series patch is present on the right chest. In this game Moss had 5 receptions for 69 yards in a Patriots 35-7 win. Moss led the league in TDs in 2009 despite playing with a hurt shoulder for most of the season. He ended up with 83 rec for 1264 yards and 13 TDs.

This jersey is 1/2 Randy Moss Patriots jerseys that were auctioned off through NFL auctions. There is a 2009 Randy Moss preseason jersey that has a JO Sports letter out there somewhere (I don't know if it is good or not). There is also a Randy Moss away jersey from 2008 that Grey Flannel auctioned off that I believe to be good. There was a 2007 Randy Moss home jersey that the Highland Mint had marketed. I held that jersey in my hands and inspected it and can tell you that it was not worn by Randy Moss in an NFL game. At some point later, on I saw it appear in a Vintage Authentics auction and then later in a Mears auction with an A5 letter.

Here is the other Randy Moss Patriots game used jersey from NFL auctions...

Randy Moss 2009 game used AFL Throwback jersey (NFL Auctions PSA/DNA)
    In 2009 the Patriots wore throwbacks to celebrate the AFL anniversary. They wore the red throwbacks on opening MNF against the Bills, the White ones against the Broncos, and the red ones at home against the Titans and on the road against the Dolphins. The white set of throwbacks were collected after the Dolphins game in December (worn in October) and were washed when the NFL had collected them.

During Moss time with the Patriots he wore size 46 as far as I know and had a customized elastic hem in his waist along with cuffed sleeves. When Moss wore this jersey he recorded his only career interception where he "Mossed" Jabar Gaffney. He also hurt his shoulder on a 36 yard reception play that he dealt with for the remainder of the season.

It's a Boston patriots helmet worn in I961-1969 Boston patriots helmet worn by Houston Antwine #65. Here are some pictures. Thoughts? Also open for offers if anyone is interested. Thanks

Thanks for sharing the helmet

Wes Welker 2011 game used jersey with MHK patch (NFL auctions PSA/DNA)

Welker wore this jersey for the following stretch in 2011

Week 1 @Miami 8 rec 160 yards 2 TD, NFL record 99 yard TD
    Week 3 @Buffalo Patriots record 16 rec 217 yards, 2 TD, 1 rush for 19 yards
    Week 4 @Oakland 9 rec 158 yards 1 TD
    Week 6 Dallas 6 rec 45 yards 1 TD, 3 punt returns 27 yards and 1 assist

The totals for Welker in this jersey are 39 receptions for 580 yards 6 TDs, 1 carry for 19 yards, 3 returns for 27 yards. In 2011 Welker was a first team all pro and led the league in receptions.

Want to upload pictures but can't figure out how to do it anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

I rarely post on the forum but I feel like this jersey needs to be on this thread. Here is my 2007 Randy Moss Home jersey worn during the Steelers, Jets, and Dolphins games in his record-setting season. He caught 4 TDs in this jersey. The jersey has a repair on the right sleeve which I have photomatched. Great wear on the front and back numbers which has also been photomatched. Jersey was obtained from a source close to the team. One of the greatest Pats jerseys that I have ever seen.

Here is the Moss match.

For some reason having issues getting matches to attach.