Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: The New England Patriots game used thread

Sweet Moss, jersey Josh, thanks for sharing

This jersey pales in comparison to a 2007 Moss but I love it due to his days as a Georgia Bulldog. My Set 1 1998 Robert Edwards. It was worn most of that season and in his only playoff game vs Jacksonville. Major use with 18 repairs. Don't get jerseys like this anymore since the NFL started setting up their game used vending machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Always looking for Georgia Bulldogs game used.
    email: jgiles2448@yahoo.com

really really nice Edwards. I love the repairs and use! Great match too.

A word about Starter era Patriots jerseys (1995-1998)
    Apex One was the supplier of Patriots jerseys right before Starter began producing them. In fact, the Patriots were still using 1994 Apex One jerseys in the preseason on 1995 (against the Lions, Vikings, Eagles and Raiders). In the season opener against the Browns the Pats broke out the new starter jerseys.

During this era if purchasing game used jerseys, I would highly recommend making sure that you have a photo match or if your photo resolution isn't high enough, a style match. I say this because I have seen MANY "game used" Patriots jerseys from this era that are absolutely not game used. Most of these jerseys have the Custom Crafted stamp on the inside of the jersey. In fact some of these jerseys even have repairs on them. But I can assure you that some of them that I have seen are not game worn. I know this from spending hours looking at photos and game film from games.

The Starter era Patriots jerseys have a few things that make them more identifiable in pictures/video.

First off, these jerseys have vertical stripes of alternating colors. The amount of stripes, where the stripes intersect the numbers, and where they intersect the chest Patriots script logo all should match up to photos (1st attachment). The front and back stripes should match up with whatever jersey you are comparing to.

The second thing to look at is the angulation and placement of the flying elvis shoulder logos. In the home jersey you can see the same position of the flying elvis logo (second attachment). At this stage, this is where it becomes more obvious when jerseys listed as "game used" are in fact not really game used. There are generally two locations where the chin on the flying elvis logo is located. One is with the chin hugged against the shoulder seam in the corner. The other is with the chin placed at the inner seam of the under arm gusset. I have seen alot of 1997 jerseys with this problem. The white away jersey shows non matching flying elvis locations (third attachment).

The third thing to look at is the position of the Starter logos on the shoulders. This position seemed to change frequently.

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect on this: The 1995-1997 jerseys tend to have the Custom Crafted stamp on the inside (attachments 4 and 5). The more used the jersey, typically the harder it is to read the stamp. in 1998 like seen on the Edwards jersey, there is a custom crafted neck tag.

Also, once again someone please correct me if I am incorrect, but the 1995 Starter labels are white ans say designed and tailored for the NFL (attachment 6). The 1996 Label says designed and tailored exclusively for the New England Patriots (attachment 7). The 1997 label is the pro line starter label (attachment 8). And the 1998 label is similar to the 1997 label but has an authentic added on the bottom of it and a blue border (not pictured).

I do not know where all of the Patriots "game used" jerseys that I cannot match to any photos came from that have repairs on them came from. I do own a 1997 Dave Meggett away jersey that is definitely not game used.

Can anybody tell me how to post a picture on GUU?

1984 Andre Tippett Helmet

Sorry, didn't mean to have them that big

Some very fine New England gamers here! Thanks to each member for sharing and posting the knowledge re older jerseys!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post
    A word about Starter era Patriots jerseys (1995-1998) During this era if purchasing game used jerseys, I would highly recommend making sure that you have a photo match or if your photo resolution isn't high enough, a style match. I say this because I have seen MANY "game used" Patriots jerseys from this era that are absolutely not game used. Most of these jerseys have the Custom Crafted stamp on the inside of the jersey. In fact some of these jerseys even have repairs on them. But I can assure you that some of them that I have seen are not game worn. I know this from spending hours looking at photos and game film from games.
    Michael:

This is great info, but as I've learned in the last few years there are no absolutes with this era of Patriots jerseys. Specifically regarding the Custom Crafted stamp, not all Patriots jerseys got them. When the Patriots Pro Shop started selling jerseys on their website a couple of years ago I ordered what was listed as a 1997 Keith Byars home jersey. I already had a home 1996 Terry Glenn and a 1997 road Byars, each of which had Custom Crafted stamps, as did every other Pats jersey from that era that I had seen. When the jersey arrived it did not have the CC stamp. My first thought was it was a fake, but the jersey had a TON of marks/burns/damage/repairs and it came straight from the Patriots. I went to the internet to see if I could photo match it. It took all of 2 seconds to identify it as the jersey Byars wore in the 1996-97 AFC divisional playoff and Championship games against Jacksonville and Pittsburgh. When I was in Boston last year I met with Jim Scollins from the Pro Shop and told him this. He told me that during that time frame the Pats actually used three different shops to do the names/numbers/logos, not just Custom Crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffaary View Post
    Michael:

This is great info, but as I've learned in the last few years there are no absolutes with this era of Patriots jerseys. Specifically regarding the Custom Crafted stamp, not all Patriots jerseys got them. When the Patriots Pro Shop started selling jerseys on their website a couple of years ago I ordered what was listed as a 1997 Keith Byars home jersey. I already had a home 1996 Terry Glenn and a 1997 road Byars, each of which had Custom Crafted stamps, as did every other Pats jersey from that era that I had seen. When the jersey arrived it did not have the CC stamp. My first thought was it was a fake, but the jersey had a TON of marks/burns/damage/repairs and it came straight from the Patriots. I went to the internet to see if I could photo match it. It took all of 2 seconds to identify it as the jersey Byars wore in the 1996-97 AFC divisional playoff and Championship games against Jacksonville and Pittsburgh. When I was in Boston last year I met with Jim Scollins from the Pro Shop and told him this. He told me that during that time frame the Pats actually used three different shops to do the names/numbers/logos, not just Custom Crafted.
    Thanks for the great info, good to know! I'm glad we have a place to share and organize Patriots Game Used knowledge. Please share pics of the jerseys when you have time to.

1994 season - 1995 (preseason) Willie McGinest game used jersey (Patriots COA)
    As I had mentioned earlier, the Patriots wore Apex One in the preseason of 1995 before switching to Starter in the opener. This McGinest jersey was worn during his rookie year of 1994. The 75th patch has been removed. In the preseason of 1995 the 1994 style is pictured without the 75th patch (last picture). Multiple repairs are present on this jersey.

Richard Seymour 2005 game used alternate jersey (Patriots COA)
    This Seymour jersey comes direct from the Patriots. The COA says issued, but clear signs of use exist (paint transfer on shoulder numbers, fabric snags). This jersey was worn against the Chargers. Seymour was a 1st team All Pro in 2005 as well as a Pro Bowler. There are velcro attachments on both the front and back tail.