Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

What do you do with your game used items?

Just wondering what others do with their items... I see people on here with a ton and I've collected a bunch of NBA jerseys, shoes, shooting shirts, shorts, etc. I only have so much room to display it all. So I have 2 jerseys framed, 2 others displayed under the frames, and a couple of pairs of shoes. The rest of my items just sit in boxes... I feel like it's almost wasteful to have them sit around, but there's not much else I can do with them. I enjoy knowing that I have some of the items from my favorite players, but that's about it... So those especially with big collections, what do you do with all of your items?

Re: What do you do with your game used items?

I have cube units for batting helmets. I hang bats vertically with hooks and hang the game used catcher's gear that I have.
    Pretty much everything I own for game used, I try to display.
    I don't have a ton of photos because I'd rather use the wall space for game used items.

If I have to store it, I usually will end up selling it or creating space to display it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Some of my stuff is displayed. But most of it is in boxes.

I gave up a long time ago on being able to actually display any sizeable percentage of my 1300+ bats, but I didn't want them hidden away, either...so I've built storage racks out of grid panels, looking something like giant wine racks, so that they're organized and easily accessible.

The top of the racks can be used for displaying smaller items, and then of course you've still got the wall for jerseys, locker plates, photos, etc. I've just built a new rack, 6'x6', that holds almost 600 bats, and I'm now looking for the right kind of cubes to line up along the front of it to display helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I gave up a long time ago on being able to actually display any sizeable percentage of my 1300+ bats, but I didn't want them hidden away, either...so I've built storage racks out of grid panels, looking something like giant wine racks, so that they're organized and easily accessible.

The top of the racks can be used for displaying smaller items, and then of course you've still got the wall for jerseys, locker plates, photos, etc. I've just built a new rack, 6'x6', that holds almost 600 bats, and I'm now looking for the right kind of cubes to line up along the front of it to display helmets.

May I ask if those bat racks are a custom build? And if so how were they made?

I really like that style and would love to eventually make a rack like that.

Awesome display!

Well all my stuff is in boxes because that's where it all went when I left for college. Now that I am back for summer I haven't found the motivation to take it all out and set it up.

When displayed everything is out though. I don't see the reason to having things live in boxes...maybe because I am not the hoarder type.

I also actually wear a game used hat too. Just a specialty cap from a scrub player. It wasn't worth enough to reason selling and sitting in a box was a sad life. So I figured heck why not wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by vince182 View Post
    May I ask if those bat racks are a custom build? And if so how were they made?

I really like that style and would love to eventually make a rack like that.

Awesome display!
    You just take what they call "grid panels" and basically build a box out of them. You can fasten them together either with specially-made little connectors that you screw in, or just use zip-ties. They come in 2'x4', 2'x6', 4'x4', 2'x7', 2'x8', etc., sizes, and the little grids are 3" square - perfect for slipping a bat into. They normally come in silver, black or white. I buy them from a local store equipment store, and if they have "used" ones, they will probably cost about half of what new ones would. The one in the photo is really two 4'x4' "boxes" with a common center wall. The one I just put together is made from 12 2'x6' panels - three 2' wide and 6' high boxes with common center walls, plus one on top and one on the bottom. I bought the panels "used" with hardly a scratch on them for $12 each.

Clarification: when I said that the display in the photo was two 4'x4' boxes, I meant 4' high and 4' wide - they are/it is only two feet deep, so the bat is supported by sticking out a few inches in front and in back. The side panels are 2'x4'.

This was my set up at my old place. We just bought a new house, so it looks like I get to do something bigger and better. There were a lot of lessons learned in the building of the jersey case...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CBCollector.com
    Collecting
    Chicago Bears game used/worn memorabilia.